Songs, songs

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
      I hope that this post gets through -- just rejoined S-W. I wanted to ask our kind expert Joe Armata to translate some songs from the songbook A teraz tu'to vol 3, purchased from Dan Kisha. It so happens that a CD called Spievaju'ce Slovensko (the western Slovakia recording) has a terrific version of two of them, and I was intrigued as to their meaning. Joe will probably prove me wrong, but the first one seems to be about a painted barn, or painting a barn. The second one is about buckwheat, among other things. Well, let's see what he comes up with. Folk songs are a key to our ancestors' hearts. Here is the first.

      Za nas~ima humny

      Za nas~ima humny, ej, za nas~ima humny

      Orech malovany', orech malovany'.

      Gdoz~e ho maloval, ej, gdoz~e ho maloval,

      Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.

      Maloval ho male'r, ej, maloval ho male'r,

      Ze same'ho dreva, ze same'ho dreva

      A dal mu barvic~ky, ej a dal mu barvic~ky,

      Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Andrea, here's what I get for these songs - as always,
        corrections by others are welcome, I'm no expert!
        Joe

        *******
        Za nas~ima humny
        Behind our barns,
        Za nas~ima humny, ej, za nas~ima humny
        Behind our barns, hey, behind our barns,
        Orech malovany', orech malovany'.
        A painted walnut.
        Gdoz~e ho maloval, ej, gdoz~e ho maloval,
        Who painted it?
        Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
        He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.
        Maloval ho male'r, ej, maloval ho male'r,
        A painter painted it.
        Ze same'ho dreva, ze same'ho dreva
        Of pure wood.
        A dal mu barvic~ky, ej a dal mu barvic~ky,
        And gave it (bright) colors,
        Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
        ? (which it needed?)

        *************
        Oj, z~ito, z~ito, oves, poha'nka,
        Hey, rye, wheat, buckwheat,
        Os~idila n~a moja gala'ka, moja gala'nka,
        My girlfriend? sowed it (them?).
        Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
        She sowed it (them?), and I see? it. (is "vi'ce" dialect for
        I see?)
        Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
        She'll complain for four months, four months,
        Es~te sme byli na Koric~any,
        We've been to Koric~any,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli Jarabic~any, s~eja, hoja, ja.
        We've heard the people from Jarabice?, s~eja, hoja, ja
        (nonsense words)
        Es~te sme byli nad Stary'm Brnem,
        We've been to Stare Brno,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli kohu'ta s krkem,
        We've heard a rooster with a croaking sound? s~eja, hoja, ja.
        Es~te sme byli nad Ores~any,
        We've been to Ores~any,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli, ej, Skalic~any,
        We've heard the people from Skalice, s~eja, hoja, ja.
        Es~te sme byli nad Staru' Turu',
        We've been to Stara Tura,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli jak hudci hudu',
        We've heard how the musicians play, s~eja, hoja ja.
      • Andrea Vangor

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
            Re the second song: galanka does mean girlfriend, and according to my dictionary it derives from the word "gallant". Perhaps originally from the French word? Amazing how many words get tossed around. Can this be a "furman" song? These are rather farflung places, aren't they?

            The trouble with folk songs is that people sing them in folk (dialect).
            *************
[...]

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
              > A painted walnut.

              I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
              objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
              songs.

              > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
              > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

              skimp on

              > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
              > ? (which it needed?)

              As you indicated.

              > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
              > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
              > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
              > She'll complain for four months, four months,

              She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
              She'll be sorry for four months.

              The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
              that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
              heard sounds from the next village after that one).

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                You should hear these songs performed by two strong young male voices in close harmony, the first in a sentimental manner, the second with great brio, including whoops, stomps and hoots.
                I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
                objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
                songs.

                > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
                > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

                skimp on

                > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
                > ? (which it needed?)

                As you indicated.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                  > > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
                  > > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
                  > > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
                  > > She'll complain for four months, four months,

                  So "n'a" is dialect for "ma" (me)?

                  Joe
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                    And while we are on the subject, more or less, what about that painted walnut tree? Is it a painting on the wall of the barn, or a tree covered with paint? The English language has its limitations, too.

                    Inquiring minds...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                      "Banovac" doesn't mean to complain, it means to regret or rue.

                      >>> drav@... 07/02/05 12:34 AM >>>
                      You should hear these songs performed by two strong young male voices in close harmony, the first in a sentimental manner, the second with great brio, including whoops, stomps and hoots.
                      I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
                      objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
                      songs.

                      > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
                      > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

                      skimp on

                      > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
                      > ? (which it needed?)

                      As you indicated.

                      > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
                      > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
                      > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
                      > She'll complain for four months, four months,

                      She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
                      She'll be sorry for four months.

                      The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
                      that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
                      heard sounds from the next village after that one).

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS