Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Markovce

  • Mary Anne Drobnak
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
      My husband's great-grandfather, Andras Drobynak, b.
      1882 in Markovce. A Slovak researcher is now helping
      us find more information. One thing he just send back
      a week ago is the fact that these two towns are not
      the same. They are 30 miles away from each other.

      Maybe the Drobnyaks were neighbors to your
      great-grandmother. Small world.

      Hope this helps. Mary Anne Drobnak

      --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Dans57@w...
      wrote:
      > There is a village of this name about 20 miles
      north west of
      > Oborin Sk. My great grandmaother was born there but
      in 1882 it was
      > simply named Mark. Is this the same village you are
      referring to as
      > Mirkovce? Just wondering.
      >
      > Dan Almashy
      > Danville , Va.
      > DLAlmashy@w...
      > Vachevyman@h...

      Thanks, I missed that one. "Nazvy Obci Slovenskej
      Republiky", which
      lists all the villages and town names in SK from 1773
      to 1997, lists
      Mark but not Markovce in the index. I found Markovce
      listed on page
      183 after the Mark lead. It was in former Zemplin
      county and is about
      32 miles southeast of Mirkovce.

      Although there is a probability that Andrew's father
      was born in
      Markovce, it appears more likely that the birth town
      was Mirkovce.
      What leads me to believe that Mirkovce is correct is
      that Sarisske
      Bohdanovce, which is just about 2 miles south of
      Mirkovce, could be
      the Bohdan that Andrew's grandfather was born in. The
      town of
      Bohdanovce is about 27 miles southwest of Mirkovce and
      less likely to
      be the Bohdan mentioned by Mary Anne.

      RU

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
        The _Vlastivedny slovnik_ comes to the rescue again. The old Hungarian name of Markovce was Mark. It's located near Michalovce.

        Mirkovce was created by the merger of Niz~ne Mirkovce and Vys~ne Mirkovce in 1944. The old Hungarian name for Vys~ne Mirkovce was Felsomerk (Niz~ne Mirkovce was Alsomerk). Mirkovce is located near Pres~ov.

        >>> choirmm@... 06/27/05 4:38 PM >>>

        wrote:
        > There is a village of this name about 20 miles
        north west of
        > Oborin Sk. My great grandmaother was born there but
        in 1882 it was
        > simply named Mark. Is this the same village you are
        referring to as
        > Mirkovce? Just wondering.
        >
        > Dan Almashy
        > Danville , Va.
        > DLAlmashy@w...
        > Vachevyman@h...

        Thanks, I missed that one. "Nazvy Obci Slovenskej
        Republiky", which
        lists all the villages and town names in SK from 1773
        to 1997, lists
        Mark but not Markovce in the index. I found Markovce
        listed on page
        183 after the Mark lead. It was in former Zemplin
        county and is about
        32 miles southeast of Mirkovce.

        Although there is a probability that Andrew's father
        was born in
        Markovce, it appears more likely that the birth town
        was Mirkovce.
        What leads me to believe that Mirkovce is correct is
        that Sarisske
        Bohdanovce, which is just about 2 miles south of
        Mirkovce, could be
        the Bohdan that Andrew's grandfather was born in. The
        town of
        Bohdanovce is about 27 miles southwest of Mirkovce and
        less likely to
        be the Bohdan mentioned by Mary Anne.

        RU

        Terms of Service.

      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
          > The _Vlastivedny slovnik_ comes to the rescue again. The old
          Hungarian name of Markovce was Mark. It's located near Michalovce.

          > Mirkovce was created by the merger of Niz~ne Mirkovce and Vys~ne
          Mirkovce in 1944. The old Hungarian name for Vys~ne Mirkovce was
          Felsomerk (Niz~ne Mirkovce was Alsomerk). Mirkovce is located near
          Pres~ov.

          Olja,

          Thanks for confirming what I wrote in my messages yesterday. I
          used "Nazvy Obci...".

          Ru