Yahoo bouncing

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2005
      Yes, Julie, this a fact of life nowadays! Spamhaus is an online
      service that maintains a record of mail servers that send out
      lots of spam. Administrators of other mail servers can then
      tell their servers to check with Spamhaus before accepting
      delivery of a message, and reject any messages coming from the
      identified spammer servers. "RBL" stands for Real-time Block
      List, (or Black List), meaning the block list is dynamic and
      constantly changing as new info comes in.

      I work at the University of Pittsburgh, and very often AOL blocks
      mail from Pitt because too much spam was coming from Pitt servers
      the previous couple of days. With a university this big, there
      are bound to be some computers that haven't been properly
      safeguarded, and get hacked into and turned into zombies, sending
      out tons and tons of spam on behalf of a spammer who is probably
      halfway around the world.

      There's not much you can do, unfortunately. Your ISP could put
      Yahoo mail on a "white list" that would exempt it from any spam
      filtering, but it's unlikely they'd ever agree to do that. Yahoo
      has to figure out a way to keep people from exploiting it for
      spamming.

      Joe