Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Bridal Dance

    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
      Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

      I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
      strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
      different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
      helps:

      Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
      Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
      Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
      Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
      Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
      Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
      A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
      Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

      Joe

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to: