Re: [Slovak-World] "celkom" & "cent"

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
      > "strelit' capa"
      > lit.: to shoot a billy-goat
      >
      > Explanation, anyone???????????

      "To put your foot in it" is a good rendition. My guess is, Helen,
      that the image is that of shooting your/someone else's goat by
      mistake (say, instead of a deer) -- something you definitely didn't
      want to do and will pay for.

      > "(t'az~ky) ako cent/hrom"
      > lit.: heavy as a quintal [a weight]/thunder
      > (as) heavy as lead
      >
      > Anyone care to explain how thunder can be heavy?

      _Hrom_ is an intensifier here, like the English "heavy like hell."
      Hell isn't an actual specimen of a heavy object, either.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu