"celkom" & "cent"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
      "byt' celkom nama:kko/na ma:kko"
      lit.: to be totally soft
      be in a sentimental mood
      be touched/moved

      "(t'az~ky) ako cent/hrom"
      lit.: heavy as a quintal [a weight]/thunder
      (as) heavy as lead

      Anyone care to explain how thunder can be heavy? Or is there another meaning to "hrom" that my dictionary didn't give?

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
        > "strelit' capa"
        > lit.: to shoot a billy-goat
        >
        > Explanation, anyone???????????

        "To put your foot in it" is a good rendition. My guess is, Helen,
        that the image is that of shooting your/someone else's goat by
        mistake (say, instead of a deer) -- something you definitely didn't
        want to do and will pay for.

        > "(t'az~ky) ako cent/hrom"
        > lit.: heavy as a quintal [a weight]/thunder
        > (as) heavy as lead
        >
        > Anyone care to explain how thunder can be heavy?

        _Hrom_ is an intensifier here, like the English "heavy like hell."
        Hell isn't an actual specimen of a heavy object, either.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu