[Slovak-World] Re: "byt'"

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2005
      "[No matter] what would be what" is about as literal a translation as I can come up with.

      >>> sandman6294@... 06/08/05 12:44 PM >>>
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
      > At 11:48 PM 7/06/2005, you wrote:
      > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > "c~o by c~o bolo"
      > > > come what may
      > > > in any event
      > > > by hook or by crook
      > > > come rain or shine
      > >
      > >Que sera sera.
      > >
      > >RU
      > >
      > Don't think they are all the same. By hook or by crook implies that
      it will
      > happen whatever it takes, in any event & come rain or shine is like
      > whatever and que sera sera is fate.

      "Come what may" and "que sera sera" appear to be equivalent. "In any
      event", possibly the same category. I agree with you on the the last
      two. I'd like a literal translation of the Slovak. My almost non
      existant knowledge of the language interprets it as "What is, what was"
      or possibly as "What will be, what was". Olja, what's your literal
      translation?

      RU

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to: