Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Bridal Dance

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 6, 2005
      > "Naj" is exhortative (let it be, may it happen)

      Oops, sorry I hastened with my response, Joe, Helen, before I read
      your follow-ups.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
        Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

        I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
        strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
        different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
        helps:

        Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
        Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
        Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
        Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
        Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
        Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
        A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
        Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

        Joe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: