Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Bridal Dance

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 6, 2005
      > svatka naj s~e richtuje.
      > the svatka just prepares herself.
      > (I think this means she's preening herself?)

      _Naj_ (standard Slovak _nech_) indicates an indirect command "Let the
      svatka prepare herself"/"The svatka better be ready." Perhaps
      because the senior druzba will dance (wildly?) with her, or her turn
      in the wedding ceremony comes after his dance, or... hmmm...

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
        Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

        I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
        strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
        different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
        helps:

        Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
        Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
        Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
        Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
        Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
        Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
        A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
        Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

        Joe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: