Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Bridal Dance

    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 6, 2005
      Another redovy tradition is that the bride has a separate outfit to wear just for redovy. I have the embroidered skirt and vest (modern, folksy but not traditional) that my cousin made for her own redovy dance (she's a seamstress, but had her wedding dress made by someone else--bad luck to sew your own).

      On your translation, Joe...

      Nas~a mlada jak babka,
      zac~epila ju svatka.
      Our bride is like a doll [i.e., pretty as a picture, all dressed up],
      the svatka has put the married woman's cap on her.

      Stars~i druz~ba tancuje,
      svatka naj s~e richtuje.
      The BEST MAN dances,
      the svatka should prepare/get ready
      It could mean either that she should get herself ready (dressed, primped) or it could mean that
      she should get ready for whatever duties (cake cutting?) she has--it's unclear from the
      context.

      >>> JArmata@... 06/06/05 8:23 AM >>>
      There are lots of versions of the song. Here's one version from
      Zamutov, each line repeats. The svatka (female) and druzba
      (male) are members of the wedding party.

      Redovi s~e zac~ina,
      svatka kolac~ nac~ina.

      The Redovi dance is beginning,
      the svatka is cutting the wedding cake.

      Stars~i druz~ba tancuje,
      svatka naj s~e richtuje.

      The senior druzba dances,
      the svatka just prepares herself.
      (I think this means she's preening herself?)

      Nas~a mlada jak babka,
      zac~epila ju svatka.

      Our bride is like an older woman,
      the svatka has put the married woman's cap on her.

      Andel'i s~e raduju,
      kamaratki tancuju.

      Angels are rejoicing,
      girlfriends are dancing.

      Joe

      > Slovak Worlders,
      >
      > I would like to get the words to the Slovak Bridal Dance. There
      were many verses sung as the bride's veil was taken off, as she sat on
      a chair, and a babuska was tied on her head. A ring of people was
      formed around her and she danced with anyone who put some money into
      an apron that her maid-of-honor was wearing and was let inside the
      ring. The men, and any women who wanted, got a shot of whiskey. This
      went on until her husband came and would try to break through the ring
      to get her. After a suitable time he was let through and whisked her
      away.

      > Joe Krall
      >
      > joekrall@...
      > Concord, NC

      To visit your group on the web, go to:
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
        Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

        I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
        strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
        different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
        helps:

        Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
        Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
        Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
        Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
        Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
        Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
        A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
        Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

        Joe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: