Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Bridal Dance

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 6, 2005
      There are lots of versions of the song. Here's one version from
      Zamutov, each line repeats. The svatka (female) and druzba
      (male) are members of the wedding party.

      Redovi s~e zac~ina,
      svatka kolac~ nac~ina.

      The Redovi dance is beginning,
      the svatka is cutting the wedding cake.

      Stars~i druz~ba tancuje,
      svatka naj s~e richtuje.

      The senior druzba dances,
      the svatka just prepares herself.
      (I think this means she's preening herself?)

      Nas~a mlada jak babka,
      zac~epila ju svatka.

      Our bride is like an older woman,
      the svatka has put the married woman's cap on her.

      Andel'i s~e raduju,
      kamaratki tancuju.

      Angels are rejoicing,
      girlfriends are dancing.

      Joe

      > Slovak Worlders,
      >
      > I would like to get the words to the Slovak Bridal Dance. There
      were many verses sung as the bride's veil was taken off, as she sat on
      a chair, and a babuska was tied on her head. A ring of people was
      formed around her and she danced with anyone who put some money into
      an apron that her maid-of-honor was wearing and was let inside the
      ring. The men, and any women who wanted, got a shot of whiskey. This
      went on until her husband came and would try to break through the ring
      to get her. After a suitable time he was let through and whisked her
      away.

      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
        Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

        I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
        strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
        different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
        helps:

        Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
        Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
        Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
        Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
        Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
        Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
        A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
        Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

        Joe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: