RE: [Slovak-World] Slovak Bridal Dance

  • gergely
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 5, 2005
      Joe, I see a slight discrepancy in your description of the bridal dance. I
      don't believe that the "who wanted" applies. At least at the weddings I
      have attended. Including my daughter's wedding here in the Southern Baptist
      belt of Southern Virginia. Several of Chris' Suothern Baptist nieces tasted
      their first whiskey in the bridal line. At least, those were the rules as
      I told them.

      Jack Gergely
      Newport News

      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
        Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

        I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
        strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
        different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
        helps:

        Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
        Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
        Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
        Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
        Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
        Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
        A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
        Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

        Joe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: