Slovak Bridal Dance

  • Joe Krall
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 5, 2005
      Slovak Worlders,

      I would like to get the words to the Slovak Bridal Dance. There were many verses sung as the bride's veil was taken off, as she sat on a chair, and a babuska was tied on her head. A ring of people was formed around her and she danced with anyone who put some money into an apron that her maid-of-honor was wearing and was let inside the ring. The men, and any women who wanted, got a shot of whiskey. This went on until her husband came and would try to break through the ring to get her. After a suitable time he was let through and whisked her away.

      Joe Krall

      joekrall@...
      Concord, NC

      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2005
        Yes, here it's definitely a "minted/struck thaler" given by the senior druz~ba.

        I thought of obity as referring to how the coin was made - to
        strike it, mint it, beat it. Another version of the song to a
        different tune in the book has "bity" with the o- prefix, if that
        helps:

        Nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a,
        Eh, chto chce braltu maci, musi tal'ar daci.
        Tal'ara biteho, druz~bi najstars~eho,
        Ej, nas~a bralta nas~a, vera n~e je nas~a.
        Our bride, our (bride), she's really not ours,
        Hey, whoever wants the bride, has to give a thaler.
        A minted/struck thaler, of the senior druz~ba (?),
        Hey, our bride, she's really not ours.

        Joe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: