Re: Slovak documentary on WQED

  • slocrobear
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
      Ahoj Helenka!

      The Pittsburgh Folk Festival is held every Memorial Day weekend in
      the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh (across the
      street from the Heinz Pittsburgh Life Museum). The doors open Friday
      evening and it runs Saturday & Sunday.

      There are 20+ groups that participate with cultural displays, food
      booths and performing groups. There is also an international
      marketplace. The SLOVAK FOLKCRAFTS store represented Slovakia this
      year. I know that they ran out of space for the vendors.

      Next year, they hope to move the Festival up-stairs to the big room
      where the skylites are and the magnificent view of the skyline of
      Pittsburgh!

      This year, the finale of the performances was a swing number that was
      choreographed by David Vinski. It featured the song IN THE MOOD and
      had one couple in traditional costume from each ethnic group and it
      was GREAT!

      I'll remind everyone again next year...

      marko

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
      > Next year, let us know about the festival beforehand so we can put
      out the info in the Wash, DC area. I suspect a few folks might be
      interested (I know I would).

      > Helen

      > This was on WQED in Pittsburgh along with another program called
      > CROATIAN ROOTS in conjunction with the 49th Annual PITTSBURGH FOLK
      > FESTIVAL which was last weekend.
      >
      > The Slovak booth was wonderful as was the Slovak kitchen - great
      > chicken paprikash and the dancing was WONDERFUL as they depicted
      the
      > customs surrounding St. Lucia's Day on Dec.13.
      >
      > Rudy & Sue Ondreco, et al, always do a wonderful job!
      >
      > I can't wait to see what they do for the 50th anniversary of the
      > Pittsburgh Folk Festival next year!
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey, I checked my PBS listings, and they aren't
      > > showing it here in Chicago -- RATS -- but if one of
      > > you would happen to be able to tape it for me -- I'd
      > > be willing to send you a little something-something
      > > nice for your time and trouble. This sounds like
      > > something I'd really enjoy.
      > >

      > > Caye
      > >

      > > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@i...> wrote:
      > > > I've heard lots of great things about the special.
      > > >
      > > > If you can get WQED be sure to watch.
      > > >
      > > > I've met Susan several times.
      > > >
      > > > Greg Kopchak
      > > > It's All Relative

      Service.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
        D'akujem, Marko.

        >>> cahek@... 06/03/05 2:33 PM >>>
        Ahoj Helenka!

        The Pittsburgh Folk Festival is held every Memorial Day weekend in
        the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh (across the
        street from the Heinz Pittsburgh Life Museum). The doors open Friday
        evening and it runs Saturday & Sunday.

        There are 20+ groups that participate with cultural displays, food
        booths and performing groups. There is also an international
        marketplace. The SLOVAK FOLKCRAFTS store represented Slovakia this
        year. I know that they ran out of space for the vendors.

        Next year, they hope to move the Festival up-stairs to the big room
        where the skylites are and the magnificent view of the skyline of
        Pittsburgh!

        This year, the finale of the performances was a swing number that was
        choreographed by David Vinski. It featured the song IN THE MOOD and
        had one couple in traditional costume from each ethnic group and it
        was GREAT!

        I'll remind everyone again next year...

        marko

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
        > Next year, let us know about the festival beforehand so we can put
        out the info in the Wash, DC area. I suspect a few folks might be
        interested (I know I would).

        > Helen

        > This was on WQED in Pittsburgh along with another program called
        > CROATIAN ROOTS in conjunction with the 49th Annual PITTSBURGH FOLK
        > FESTIVAL which was last weekend.
        >
        > The Slovak booth was wonderful as was the Slovak kitchen - great
        > chicken paprikash and the dancing was WONDERFUL as they depicted
        the
        > customs surrounding St. Lucia's Day on Dec.13.
        >
        > Rudy & Sue Ondreco, et al, always do a wonderful job!
        >
        > I can't wait to see what they do for the 50th anniversary of the
        > Pittsburgh Folk Festival next year!
        >
        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey, I checked my PBS listings, and they aren't
        > > showing it here in Chicago -- RATS -- but if one of
        > > you would happen to be able to tape it for me -- I'd
        > > be willing to send you a little something-something
        > > nice for your time and trouble. This sounds like
        > > something I'd really enjoy.
        > >

        > > Caye
        > >

        > > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@i...> wrote:
        > > > I've heard lots of great things about the special.
        > > >
        > > > If you can get WQED be sure to watch.
        > > >
        > > > I've met Susan several times.
        > > >
        > > > Greg Kopchak
        > > > It's All Relative