We resume our regularly scheduled programming...

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Sorry it's taken so long to get back into the swing of things, but my travel paperwork is just about done.

      One thing I forgot to mention about the trip was that in the bigger cities (B-slava, Kos~ice), there were a fair number of Vietnamese selling inexpensive footwear and clothing. Sometimes I even saw a sign that said "Chinese shop". Martin, are the "Chinese" really Vietnamese? Are the Vietnamese those who were brought over under communism to supposedly be trained (but were really just a cheap source of labor) or is this a new wave of Vietnamese?

      The word for today is "burka":

      "burka v pohari vody"
      tempest in a teacup

      "Po burke vyjde slnko"
      lit.: After a storm, the sun comes out
      After a storm comes calm

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        > are the "Chinese" really Vietnamese? Are the Vietnamese those
        > who were brought over under communism

        Welcome back, Helen. Based on occasional police reports, most of the
        "Chinese" appear to be Chinese. That's new, spontaneous immigration
        after the collapse of communism.

        As to the Vietnamese workers brought in by Prague under communism,
        although they did go through some training upon arrival, it was
        presented as "fraternal assistance" to communist Vietnam before it
        recovered from the war and attained full employment like the other
        communist countries. They made up for the shortage of people on the
        labor market in Czechoslovakia: the Vietnamese stayed for years.

        Under communism, everyone had to have a job by law and everyone was
        paid by the government. In effect, that meant that everyone had a
        job for life (unless s/he criticized the Communists), which created
        the shortage. Like everyone else, the Vietnamese were paid by the
        government -- based on agreements between Prague and Hanoi in the
        case of the Vietnamese.

        There was another, less numerous, group of people from Vietnam who
        were brought in to study for free in Slovak and Czech colleges.

        > Baked pigeons don't fly into anyone's mouth

        It means that you have to work in order to be able to eat, food
        (delicacies) will not just "fly in." A common rhymed saying with the
        same meaning is:

        Bez pra'ce nie su' kola'c~e.

        "Without work [there] are no kolache."

        Martin