new Google search

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2005
      I know that a lot of us do periodic internet searches of our surnames, as
      part of our genealogy/family history/search for relatives. One of the
      online newsletters I subscribe to recently mentioned a new Google search
      method (excerpt below) for synonyms. I tried it with my own last name,
      half afraid what might be considered a synonym for "Michutka"! To my
      surprise, it brought up hits that I don't usually get, including Czech,
      Polish, and Russian hits, and a hyphenated name. Some of you might find it
      worthwhile to try with your family names, also.

      Julie Michutka

      Google Has a New Operator
      =========================
      The tilde ~ (that squiggly line that is on the upper left of the keyboard to
      the left of the number 1 key) is Google's newest operator. Now you can
      search not only for a particular keyword, but also for its synonyms.
      Indicate a search for both by placing the tilde sign (~) immediately in
      front of the keyword.
      A search for ~genealogy provides results for genealogy, family
      history and family tree. A search for ~obits gives results including obits,
      obituaries, and death notices. Try a keyword with and without the tilde to
      note the variation in search results.
      Use the feature judiciously, possibly only when all other results fail. The
      purpose of keyword searching is to limit the number of hits. This synonym
      feature will only expand the number of hits.
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
        I have a print-out of the HTML coded character set, but it does not have
        all of the Slovak letters with diacritics, esp with the little diacritic we
        use to make -c- into the <English> -ch- sound, likewise -z-/-zh- (can never
        remember what it's called.....hachek? nemchek? madchen?)

        Does anyone know what the html code would be for those? (eg the code for a
        small letter s with the diacritic is š )

        Thanks for any help!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
          Julie, a set is, e.g., at:

          <http://www.avenue-it.com/html/extracharacters.html>

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
            Julie, what you need is a gen-u-ine Slovak keyboard (made in China).
            I have been using one most of the last year and a half and it is great
            to get though tough to find letters, and get them just right.

            Now if you or anyone else on S-W wants to buy a slightly used Slovak
            keyboard with a PS/2 connection, I have one for sale. My new laptop
            computer takes only USB keyboard so I can't use this one. On Tuesday
            I fly off to Budapest/Slovakia/Czechia and Germany and plan on coming
            back with a new USB Slovak keyboard in my posession. I don't expect
            to follow through on shipping the old keyboard to a buyer until I come
            back around Jully 10, but for anyone interested, let me know.

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@p...> wrote:
            > I have a print-out of the HTML coded character set, but it does not
            have
            > all of the Slovak letters with diacritics, esp with the little
            diacritic we
            > use to make -c- into the <English> -ch- sound, likewise -z-/-zh-
            (can never
            > remember what it's called.....hachek? nemchek? madchen?)
            >
            > Does anyone know what the html code would be for those? (eg the
            code for a
            > small letter s with the diacritic is š )
            >
            > Thanks for any help!
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@p...
          • jmichutka
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2005
              Thanks, Martin, I'll look it up.

              On another topic, I've been missing a lot of messages from my various
              Yahoo lists (such as Slovak World) because of hard bounces. We
              contacted our ISP about it, and this was their reply: "Due to the
              overwhelming amount of SPAM we have implemented RBL blocking on our
              mail servers which are now utilizing the Spamhaus and Spamcop RBL
              lists. We've noticed lately that Yahoolist's server has been
              blacklisted several times within this blacklist. Yahoo will need to
              take action against their offending customers who continue to have
              them blacklisted as this is a blacklist that hundreds of ISP's and
              hosts use. Unfortunately, as this is a global change on the mail
              server, we are not able to change this on an account to account basis."

              Is anyone else running into this problem? Do listowners (Greg??) need
              to scream at Yahoo to do something about this?

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...> wrote:
              > Julie, a set is, e.g., at:
              >
              > <http://www.avenue-it.com/html/extracharacters.html>
              >

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 14, 2005
                Julie, until it gets resolved (probably will take a
                while) -- you can always go to Yahoo Groups and click
                on Slovak World or Slovak Roots and check all the
                messages -- no need to wait on your e-mail to arrive.

                Caye

                --- jmichutka <jmm@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, Martin, I'll look it up.
                >
                > On another topic, I've been missing a lot of
                > messages from my various
                > Yahoo lists (such as Slovak World) because of hard
                > bounces. We
                > contacted our ISP about it, and this was their
                > reply: "Due to the
                > overwhelming amount of SPAM we have implemented RBL
                > blocking on our
                > mail servers which are now utilizing the Spamhaus
                > and Spamcop RBL
                > lists. We've noticed lately that Yahoolist's server
                > has been
                > blacklisted several times within this blacklist.
                > Yahoo will need to
                > take action against their offending customers who
                > continue to have
                > them blacklisted as this is a blacklist that
                > hundreds of ISP's and
                > hosts use. Unfortunately, as this is a global change
                > on the mail
                > server, we are not able to change this on an account
                > to account basis."
                >
                > Is anyone else running into this problem? Do
                > listowners (Greg??) need
                > to scream at Yahoo to do something about this?
                >
                > Julie Michutka
                > jmm@...
                >
                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba
                > <votrubam@y...> wrote:
                > > Julie, a set is, e.g., at:
                > >

                > <http://www.avenue-it.com/html/extracharacters.html>
                > >

                > > Martin
                > >
                > > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/
              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 14, 2005
                  At 02:13 PM 6/14/2005 -0700, you wrote:

                  >Julie, until it gets resolved (probably will take a
                  >while) -- you can always go to Yahoo Groups and click
                  >on Slovak World or Slovak Roots and check all the
                  >messages -- no need to wait on your e-mail to arrive.

                  Oh yeah, I know, but being a picky whiny sort of person, I really prefer to
                  funnel all my email through Eudora rather than going to yahoo groups or
                  using my yahoo mailbox. Much more convenient. Part of the problem also is
                  that I don't always realize that I've stopped getting mail from certain
                  groups for a day or two, and then I have to go back via groups.yahoo.com
                  and catch up. whine whine whine!

                  Julie Michutka, feeling listless
                  jmm@...