Slovak documentary on WQED

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 8 , May 25, 2005
      A personal documentary "Pictures from the Old Country" by Susan
      Marcinkus will air on Pittsburgh's PBS, WQED (Channel 13) on
      Thursday, May 26, at 8:30 PM.

      Susan works in Manifest Film Company, Santa Monica, CA. Her
      ancestors came from the area around Martin (Turiec County) in
      Slovakia. "Pictures from the Old Country" engendered some lively
      arguments when it was screened locally on two occasions in the past:
      is it about Slovakia, or is it about what some Slovak-Americans
      imagine about Slovakia? What impact does it have on viewers?

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Joyce & Bill
      Message 2 of 8 , May 25, 2005
        >From: Joyce & Bill <bhewlett@...>
        >Date: Wed May 25 15:45:36 CDT 2005
        >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak documentary on WQED

        >Thank you Martin,
        >
        >I have been wanting to see it. I guess a bunch of us will watch in the Pgh area and voice our opinions.
        >
        >Joyce
        >
        >From: Martin Votruba <votrubam@...>
        >>Date: Wed May 25 15:45:36 CDT 2005
        >>To: Slovak World <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
        >>Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak documentary on WQED
        >
        >>A personal documentary "Pictures from the Old Country" by Susan
        >>Marcinkus will air on Pittsburgh's PBS, WQED (Channel 13) on
        >>Thursday, May 26, at 8:30 PM.
        >>
        >>Susan works in Manifest Film Company, Santa Monica, CA. Her
        >>ancestors came from the area around Martin (Turiec County) in
        >>Slovakia. "Pictures from the Old Country" engendered some lively
        >>arguments when it was screened locally on two occasions in the past:
        >>is it about Slovakia, or is it about what some Slovak-Americans
        >>imagine about Slovakia? What impact does it have on viewers?
        >>

        >>Martin
        >>
        >>votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        >>

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2005
          I've heard lots of great things about the special.

          If you can get WQED be sure to watch.

          I've met Susan several times.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          >I have been wanting to see it. I guess a bunch of us will watch in the Pgh
          area and voice our opinions.

          >Joyce
          >
          >From: Martin Votruba <votrubam@...>
          >>Date: Wed May 25 15:45:36 CDT 2005
          >>To: Slovak World <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
          >>Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak documentary on WQED
          >
          >>A personal documentary "Pictures from the Old Country" by Susan
          >>Marcinkus will air on Pittsburgh's PBS, WQED (Channel 13) on
          >>Thursday, May 26, at 8:30 PM.
          >>
          >>Susan works in Manifest Film Company, Santa Monica, CA. Her
          >>ancestors came from the area around Martin (Turiec County) in
          >>Slovakia. "Pictures from the Old Country" engendered some lively
          >>arguments when it was screened locally on two occasions in the past:
          >>is it about Slovakia, or is it about what some Slovak-Americans
          >>imagine about Slovakia? What impact does it have on viewers?
          >>

          >>Martin
          >>
          >>votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          >>

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 8 , May 26, 2005
            Hey, I checked my PBS listings, and they aren't
            showing it here in Chicago -- RATS -- but if one of
            you would happen to be able to tape it for me -- I'd
            be willing to send you a little something-something
            nice for your time and trouble. This sounds like
            something I'd really enjoy.

            Caye

          • slocrobear
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
              This was on WQED in Pittsburgh along with another program called
              CROATIAN ROOTS in conjunction with the 49th Annual PITTSBURGH FOLK
              FESTIVAL which was last weekend.

              The Slovak booth was wonderful as was the Slovak kitchen - great
              chicken paprikash and the dancing was WONDERFUL as they depicted the
              customs surrounding St. Lucia's Day on Dec.13.

              Rudy & Sue Ondreco, et al, always do a wonderful job!

              I can't wait to see what they do for the 50th anniversary of the
              Pittsburgh Folk Festival next year!

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                Next year, let us know about the festival beforehand so we can put out the info in the Wash, DC area. I suspect a few folks might be interested (I know I would).

                Helen

                >>> cahek@... 06/03/05 11:50 AM >>>

                wrote:

                > Hey, I checked my PBS listings, and they aren't
                > showing it here in Chicago -- RATS -- but if one of
                > you would happen to be able to tape it for me -- I'd
                > be willing to send you a little something-something
                > nice for your time and trouble. This sounds like
                > something I'd really enjoy.
                >

                > Caye
                >

                > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@i...> wrote:
                > > I've heard lots of great things about the special.
                > >
                > > If you can get WQED be sure to watch.
                > >
                > > I've met Susan several times.
                > >
                > > Greg Kopchak
                > > It's All Relative

              • slocrobear
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Ahoj Helenka!

                  The Pittsburgh Folk Festival is held every Memorial Day weekend in
                  the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh (across the
                  street from the Heinz Pittsburgh Life Museum). The doors open Friday
                  evening and it runs Saturday & Sunday.

                  There are 20+ groups that participate with cultural displays, food
                  booths and performing groups. There is also an international
                  marketplace. The SLOVAK FOLKCRAFTS store represented Slovakia this
                  year. I know that they ran out of space for the vendors.

                  Next year, they hope to move the Festival up-stairs to the big room
                  where the skylites are and the magnificent view of the skyline of
                  Pittsburgh!

                  This year, the finale of the performances was a swing number that was
                  choreographed by David Vinski. It featured the song IN THE MOOD and
                  had one couple in traditional costume from each ethnic group and it
                  was GREAT!

                  I'll remind everyone again next year...

                  marko

                  Service.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                    D'akujem, Marko.

                    >>> cahek@... 06/03/05 2:33 PM >>>
                    Ahoj Helenka!

                    The Pittsburgh Folk Festival is held every Memorial Day weekend in
                    the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh (across the
                    street from the Heinz Pittsburgh Life Museum). The doors open Friday
                    evening and it runs Saturday & Sunday.

                    There are 20+ groups that participate with cultural displays, food
                    booths and performing groups. There is also an international
                    marketplace. The SLOVAK FOLKCRAFTS store represented Slovakia this
                    year. I know that they ran out of space for the vendors.

                    Next year, they hope to move the Festival up-stairs to the big room
                    where the skylites are and the magnificent view of the skyline of
                    Pittsburgh!

                    This year, the finale of the performances was a swing number that was
                    choreographed by David Vinski. It featured the song IN THE MOOD and
                    had one couple in traditional costume from each ethnic group and it
                    was GREAT!

                    I'll remind everyone again next year...

                    marko

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                    > Next year, let us know about the festival beforehand so we can put
                    out the info in the Wash, DC area. I suspect a few folks might be
                    interested (I know I would).

                    > Helen

                    > This was on WQED in Pittsburgh along with another program called
                    > CROATIAN ROOTS in conjunction with the 49th Annual PITTSBURGH FOLK
                    > FESTIVAL which was last weekend.
                    >
                    > The Slovak booth was wonderful as was the Slovak kitchen - great
                    > chicken paprikash and the dancing was WONDERFUL as they depicted
                    the
                    > customs surrounding St. Lucia's Day on Dec.13.
                    >
                    > Rudy & Sue Ondreco, et al, always do a wonderful job!
                    >
                    > I can't wait to see what they do for the 50th anniversary of the
                    > Pittsburgh Folk Festival next year!
                    >
                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey, I checked my PBS listings, and they aren't
                    > > showing it here in Chicago -- RATS -- but if one of
                    > > you would happen to be able to tape it for me -- I'd
                    > > be willing to send you a little something-something
                    > > nice for your time and trouble. This sounds like
                    > > something I'd really enjoy.
                    > >

                    > > Caye
                    > >

                    > > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@i...> wrote:
                    > > > I've heard lots of great things about the special.
                    > > >
                    > > > If you can get WQED be sure to watch.
                    > > >
                    > > > I've met Susan several times.
                    > > >
                    > > > Greg Kopchak
                    > > > It's All Relative