RE: [Slovak-World] Export democracy?

  • gergely
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2005
      Interesting poll.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Martin Votruba
      Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 12:05 PM
      To: Slovak World
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Export democracy?

      Many Americans as well as Slovaks ponder the issue of whether and how
      to help the downfall of totalitarian regimes abroad. Should Slovakia
      help spread democracy in the world? Yes, if it doesn't cost us,
      seems to be the general attitude in Slovakia according to a recent
      poll. Why should the Slovaks help at all?

      To make the world safer - 38%
      We've had a totalitarian system, so we should help others - 21%
      To enhance Slovakia's international standing - 18%
      To prevent refugees from those countries coming here - 13%

      While the Slovaks, like most Europeans, were overwhelmingly opposed
      to Bratislava's participation in the invasion of Iraq, 73% said that
      Slovakia should help other countries to become more democratic. That
      is, unless...

      Should tax money be used to help that? No: 49%

      Should we help if it harms Slovakia's economic interests? No: 68%

      The Slovaks are noticeably more ready to export democracy to the
      Russians and Belarusians (68%-70%) than to the Chinese (52%).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu