Where are they hiding it?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2005
      Does anyone know if the Slovak National Library is in the same building/complex as the Matica in Martin? The address given on their website is "Namestie J.C. Hronskeho". I've looked at a paper map (1996, with a list of street and square names that have changed) and at an online map, but it's nowhere to be found.

      Helen
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2005
        I guess maybe I can answer my own question now, although I'd sure like confirmation from anyone who might know.

        I came across this site <http://blog.diskusie.sme.sk/viewdiscussion.php?spoj=blog-1213>, which is a discussion (po slovensky) about an article that ran in the newspaper _Sme_ on the subject of the Matica slovenska and the Slovak Nat'l Library. It seems that somewhere in the late 1990s (1998+) the Library kicked the Matica out of the new building (no doubt the one labelled Matica on the map I saw) and sent it back to an old Matica building from the 1920s. It's interesting/illuminating reading, including the entry from a Library employee.

        Helen

        >>> hfed@... 05/06/05 10:51 AM >>>
        Does anyone know if the Slovak National Library is in the same building/complex as the Matica in Martin? The address given on their website is "Namestie J.C. Hronskeho". I've looked at a paper map (1996, with a list of street and square names that have changed) and at an online map, but it's nowhere to be found.

        Helen

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to: