Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2005
      In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gergely@...
      writes:
      Of course the main
      theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
      drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
      Hi Ed,
      Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
      Noreen
      p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2005
        Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
        (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4 x
        6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
        In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
        rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
        something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
        You get the number of quarters back that on the paper.
        Of course there are not many winning papers and the
        house always makes money because there is not a 100%
        payback.

        Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots and
        beers because the the hand eye coordination required.
        The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
        American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
        cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
        wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair seats.

        Get the idea?

        (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)

        :-)

        Dr. "Q"

        --- krejc@... wrote:
        > Daylight Time, gergely@...
        > writes:
        > Of course the main
        > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak
        > history, rather
        > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
        > Hi Ed,
        > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
        > Noreen
        > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2005
          Pretty cool, here in the Midwest they play Shake-a-Day
          -- it's a heavy rubber cup with dice in it -- 5 I
          think -- and basically it's sort of like poker -- the
          better your roll, the more likely you are to get a
          free drink -- ditto for the wet tabletops and torn
          vinyl -- but you forgot the duct tape used to
          "attempt" to repair the rips.

          Darts are pretty popular here -- but they put the
          board back by the bathrooms and use those plastic
          tipped darts -- luckily most of the members wear old
          "safety"-type glasses anyhow, so not a lot of damage.

          Caye

          --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
          > Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
          > (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4
          > 6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
          >
          > In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
          > rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
          > something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
          > You get the number of quarters back that on the
          > paper.
          > Of course there are not many winning papers and the
          > house always makes money because there is not a 100%
          > payback.
          >
          > Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots
          > and
          > beers because the the hand eye coordination
          > required.
          > The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
          > American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
          > cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
          > wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair
          > seats.
          >
          > Get the idea?
          >
          > (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)
          >
          > :-)
          >
          > Dr. "Q"
          >
          > --- krejc@... wrote:
          > > In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern
          > > Daylight Time, gergely@...
          > > writes:
          > > Of course the main
          > > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT
          > Slovak
          > > history, rather
          > > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
          > > Hi Ed,
          > > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too,
          > :o)
          > > Noreen
          > > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

          > protection around
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail