Re: [Slovak-World] "bubon" & "buducnost'"

    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 10:24 AM
      No, that's not quite it. It's more that you do something that the opposite of what you really need to do to aacomplish your goal (e.g., "Be vewy, vewy quiet," as Elmer Fudd would say, when hunting rabbits).

      Helen

      >>> ccaswick@... 05/03/05 11:32 AM >>>

      How about ...

      Don't wear your heart on your sleeve or
      stick out like a sore thumb

      ??

      Caye

      --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      > "chodit'/ist' s bubnom na zajace"
      > lit.: to take a drum when hunting for rabbits
      > strike a flea with a sledge hammer
      > take a hammer to crack a nut
      >
      > The explanation for this phrase is given as
      > "predc~asne prezradit'", to give yourself away, so
      > they obviously missed the boat with the equivalents
      > given. I can't think of the right English
      > equivalents at the moment, so how about some help?
      >

      > "niekto/niec~o (ne)ma buducnost'"
      > there's (no) future for/in someoneone/something
      > someone/something has good prospects
      > (not) have a fighting chance
      >

      > Helen

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 4:33 PM
        Not a saying, but a close parallel idiomatic phrase is _broadcast
        your intentions_. Typical occurrences include:

        To je ako ist s bubnom na zajace.

        You might as well broadcast your intentions.

        Co, chces ist s bubnom na zajace?

        Why, do you want to scare them away [before you had a chance to...]?

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu