Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 4:19 AM
      These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
      it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
      people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
      Slavic hsitory.

      Tony,
      If anyone has been in the past to the Jankola Library in Danville,
      Pennsylvania, or plans to go in the future, there is a very beautiful church on the
      grounds and the stained glass windows depict the Tatra Mountains and other
      immigrant treasure memories. I went there in the mid 1990's and am still trying to
      get the time to go again.
      Noreen

    • gergely
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 5:28 AM
        The Slovak Club in Bradenville (Snydertown) PA has three murals, one really
        nice one depicting a Slovak city with the Tatras in the background. The two
        others show a local hunting scene, and Snydertown early in the 20th century.
        They were painted in the 60s or early 70s, and every time I go there and ask
        about them, no one seems to know anything about them. Of course the main
        theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
        drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.

        Jack Gergely
        Newport News

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3 4:23 PM
          In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gergely@...
          writes:
          Of course the main
          theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
          drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
          Hi Ed,
          Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
          Noreen
          p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

        • Dr. Joe Q
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4 12:17 PM
            Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
            (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4 x
            6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
            In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
            rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
            something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
            You get the number of quarters back that on the paper.
            Of course there are not many winning papers and the
            house always makes money because there is not a 100%
            payback.

            Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots and
            beers because the the hand eye coordination required.
            The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
            American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
            cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
            wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair seats.

            Get the idea?

            (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)

            :-)

            Dr. "Q"

            --- krejc@... wrote:
            > Daylight Time, gergely@...
            > writes:
            > Of course the main
            > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak
            > history, rather
            > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
            > Hi Ed,
            > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
            > Noreen
            > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4 12:27 PM
              Pretty cool, here in the Midwest they play Shake-a-Day
              -- it's a heavy rubber cup with dice in it -- 5 I
              think -- and basically it's sort of like poker -- the
              better your roll, the more likely you are to get a
              free drink -- ditto for the wet tabletops and torn
              vinyl -- but you forgot the duct tape used to
              "attempt" to repair the rips.

              Darts are pretty popular here -- but they put the
              board back by the bathrooms and use those plastic
              tipped darts -- luckily most of the members wear old
              "safety"-type glasses anyhow, so not a lot of damage.

              Caye

              --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
              > Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
              > (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4
              > 6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
              >
              > In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
              > rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
              > something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
              > You get the number of quarters back that on the
              > paper.
              > Of course there are not many winning papers and the
              > house always makes money because there is not a 100%
              > payback.
              >
              > Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots
              > and
              > beers because the the hand eye coordination
              > required.
              > The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
              > American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
              > cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
              > wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair
              > seats.
              >
              > Get the idea?
              >
              > (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)
              >
              > :-)
              >
              > Dr. "Q"
              >
              > --- krejc@... wrote:
              > > In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern
              > > Daylight Time, gergely@...
              > > writes:
              > > Of course the main
              > > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT
              > Slovak
              > > history, rather
              > > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
              > > Hi Ed,
              > > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too,
              > :o)
              > > Noreen
              > > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Mail Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail