Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak wines

  • LHBrigham
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      Go to Spectacular Slovakia:
      http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_low_mountains.html
      This is the part of the web site discussing the wine region of the Low
      Carpathians just north of Bratislava.
      Then, click on one of the wineries like Masaryk:
      http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_masaryk.html
      and you can read about some of the better wineries in the area. I
      suggest that you attempt to visit one or more of these wineries and
      sample their wines while in country. If you find one that you really
      like - brink it home.

      My experience with Slovak wine was limited - and the 2 bottles we had
      were not that impressive. I would not spend the required effort to
      bring them home. However, I did bring home 4 liters of home made
      Slivovitza given to me by my relatives. This homemade Slivovitza is far
      more important to me than all of the Tokay in Slovakia. I have even
      developed a liking for it!!!!

      Lowell

      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2005
        I always forget about the _Spectator_ and Spectacular Slovakia. Thanks for the reminder. I printed out the "Pick of the Crop" list and will take it with me.

        Helen

        >>> LHBrigham@... 05/02/05 5:32 PM >>>

        Helen Fedor wrote:

        >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
        >
        >B-slava
        >Kos~ice
        >Pres~ov
        >Martin
        >
        >Thanks in advance,
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
          Here's an article on Slovak wines that appeared in "Wines & Vines," Oct. 2004. It was brought to my attention by the author, who did some research here at LC:

          http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_10_85/ai_n6254314

          Unfortunately, the importer (Seiler) went out of business.

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
            Helen:

            My daughter-in-law is running a food and wine experience at the
            Chase Park Plaza in Saint Louis, Missouri on January 28 and 29, 2006.

            Over 400 wines from all over the world will be available for tasting
            along with some fabulous foods.

            www.repstl.org/events/foodandwine/index.shtml

            Liana has been working over a year to get things ready.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006