[Slovak-World] Re: Slovak wines

    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      Thanks, Martin, I'll give it a try.

      Helen

      >>> votrubam@... 05/02/05 1:58 PM >>>
      Let me repost two reviews of Riesling/Rizling 2002, kas~tiel/Chateau
      Bela', in Muz~la (see below). It might be impossible, Helen, to find
      it at the initial price it sold for in Slovakia (about $4.25) before
      it reached international recognition. It could still be available in
      some stores (most alcohol is sold in supermarkets in Slovakia, there
      aren't many specialized liquor stores) for around $13.

      Much of it, and especially of its even higher-rated 2001 vintage
      (selling for up to $100 now) has since been yanked from the domestic
      market and exported. It would be fun to find an ultra-cheap bottle
      lingering on a shelf in an tiny store somewhere off the beaten track
      (I wouldn't hold my breath).

      The vintage 2003 of this wine has had reasonably good reviews, too.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      x x x

      Critics Platinum: 2002 Chateau Bela Riesling, Sturovo Region,
      Muzla, $18.99 -- Fruity and tropical with bright acidity... Tart.

      2002 CHATEAU BELA, STUROVO, MUZLA (SLOVAKIA), RIESLING --
      Lovely, lime-like riesling aroma. Very, very bright and refreshing
      lime and flowers aroma. Nice citrus-peel 'minerality.' Blossoms to
      a complex bouquet of peach, grapefruit, wax, nut, mint, and lentil.
      Jorge adds 'Peruvian lemon.' A cross between Austria and Australia!
      Barely off dry, with nice acidity. Red currant snap. Rich and long.
      Unique. Sultry and eager. Lots of vitality and depth. Fabulous
      start here. Price each $18.99

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:
    • LHBrigham
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Go to Spectacular Slovakia:
        http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_low_mountains.html
        This is the part of the web site discussing the wine region of the Low
        Carpathians just north of Bratislava.
        Then, click on one of the wineries like Masaryk:
        http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_masaryk.html
        and you can read about some of the better wineries in the area. I
        suggest that you attempt to visit one or more of these wineries and
        sample their wines while in country. If you find one that you really
        like - brink it home.

        My experience with Slovak wine was limited - and the 2 bottles we had
        were not that impressive. I would not spend the required effort to
        bring them home. However, I did bring home 4 liters of home made
        Slivovitza given to me by my relatives. This homemade Slivovitza is far
        more important to me than all of the Tokay in Slovakia. I have even
        developed a liking for it!!!!

        Lowell

        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2005
          I always forget about the _Spectator_ and Spectacular Slovakia. Thanks for the reminder. I printed out the "Pick of the Crop" list and will take it with me.

          Helen

          >>> LHBrigham@... 05/02/05 5:32 PM >>>

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
            Here's an article on Slovak wines that appeared in "Wines & Vines," Oct. 2004. It was brought to my attention by the author, who did some research here at LC:

            http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_10_85/ai_n6254314

            Unfortunately, the importer (Seiler) went out of business.

          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
              Helen:

              My daughter-in-law is running a food and wine experience at the
              Chase Park Plaza in Saint Louis, Missouri on January 28 and 29, 2006.

              Over 400 wines from all over the world will be available for tasting
              along with some fabulous foods.

              www.repstl.org/events/foodandwine/index.shtml

              Liana has been working over a year to get things ready.

              Greg Kopchak
              It's All Relative

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006