Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak wines

    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      I've had Slovak vinegar/wine and I've had excellent Slovak wines, both at the emassy here in Washington, but I just can't remember the name of the good stuff, even though I remember looking at the label.

      Helen

      >>> vlinder49@... 05/02/05 10:53 AM >>>

      Suggestion buy Australian wine in Metro. Less expensive than Slovak vinegar
      type of wines.

      At 07:32 AM 02/05/2005, you wrote:
      >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in
      >Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
      >
      >B-slava
      >Kos~ice
      >Pres~ov
      >Martin
      >
      >Thanks in advance,

      > *
      >
      > *

      To visit your group on the web, go to:
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Thanks, Martin, I'll give it a try.

        Helen

        >>> votrubam@... 05/02/05 1:58 PM >>>
        Let me repost two reviews of Riesling/Rizling 2002, kas~tiel/Chateau
        Bela', in Muz~la (see below). It might be impossible, Helen, to find
        it at the initial price it sold for in Slovakia (about $4.25) before
        it reached international recognition. It could still be available in
        some stores (most alcohol is sold in supermarkets in Slovakia, there
        aren't many specialized liquor stores) for around $13.

        Much of it, and especially of its even higher-rated 2001 vintage
        (selling for up to $100 now) has since been yanked from the domestic
        market and exported. It would be fun to find an ultra-cheap bottle
        lingering on a shelf in an tiny store somewhere off the beaten track
        (I wouldn't hold my breath).

        The vintage 2003 of this wine has had reasonably good reviews, too.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        x x x

        Critics Platinum: 2002 Chateau Bela Riesling, Sturovo Region,
        Muzla, $18.99 -- Fruity and tropical with bright acidity... Tart.

        2002 CHATEAU BELA, STUROVO, MUZLA (SLOVAKIA), RIESLING --
        Lovely, lime-like riesling aroma. Very, very bright and refreshing
        lime and flowers aroma. Nice citrus-peel 'minerality.' Blossoms to
        a complex bouquet of peach, grapefruit, wax, nut, mint, and lentil.
        Jorge adds 'Peruvian lemon.' A cross between Austria and Australia!
        Barely off dry, with nice acidity. Red currant snap. Rich and long.
        Unique. Sultry and eager. Lots of vitality and depth. Fabulous
        start here. Price each $18.99

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
      • LHBrigham
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          Go to Spectacular Slovakia:
          http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_low_mountains.html
          This is the part of the web site discussing the wine region of the Low
          Carpathians just north of Bratislava.
          Then, click on one of the wineries like Masaryk:
          http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_masaryk.html
          and you can read about some of the better wineries in the area. I
          suggest that you attempt to visit one or more of these wineries and
          sample their wines while in country. If you find one that you really
          like - brink it home.

          My experience with Slovak wine was limited - and the 2 bottles we had
          were not that impressive. I would not spend the required effort to
          bring them home. However, I did bring home 4 liters of home made
          Slivovitza given to me by my relatives. This homemade Slivovitza is far
          more important to me than all of the Tokay in Slovakia. I have even
          developed a liking for it!!!!

          Lowell

          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2005
            I always forget about the _Spectator_ and Spectacular Slovakia. Thanks for the reminder. I printed out the "Pick of the Crop" list and will take it with me.

            Helen

            >>> LHBrigham@... 05/02/05 5:32 PM >>>

            Helen Fedor wrote:

            >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
            >
            >B-slava
            >Kos~ice
            >Pres~ov
            >Martin
            >
            >Thanks in advance,
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
              Here's an article on Slovak wines that appeared in "Wines & Vines," Oct. 2004. It was brought to my attention by the author, who did some research here at LC:

              http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_10_85/ai_n6254314

              Unfortunately, the importer (Seiler) went out of business.

            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
                Helen:

                My daughter-in-law is running a food and wine experience at the
                Chase Park Plaza in Saint Louis, Missouri on January 28 and 29, 2006.

                Over 400 wines from all over the world will be available for tasting
                along with some fabulous foods.

                www.repstl.org/events/foodandwine/index.shtml

                Liana has been working over a year to get things ready.

                Greg Kopchak
                It's All Relative

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006