Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak wines

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      I'm not a wine drinker, but I have heard nothing but
      good about the wines from the Tokaj region -- which is
      not far from Kosice -- there is a ton of information
      on the Internet about the Wines of Tokaj, FYI.

      Caye

      --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have any recommendations for particular
      > wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about
      > places to buy wine in any of these cities:
      >
      > B-slava
      > Kos~ice
      > Pres~ov
      > Martin
      >
      > Thanks in advance,

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Suggestion buy Australian wine in Metro. Less expensive than Slovak vinegar
        type of wines.

        At 07:32 AM 02/05/2005, you wrote:
        >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in
        >Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
        >
        >B-slava
        >Kos~ice
        >Pres~ov
        >Martin
        >
        >Thanks in advance,

        > *
        >
        > *
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          Let me repost two reviews of Riesling/Rizling 2002, kas~tiel/Chateau
          Bela', in Muz~la (see below). It might be impossible, Helen, to find
          it at the initial price it sold for in Slovakia (about $4.25) before
          it reached international recognition. It could still be available in
          some stores (most alcohol is sold in supermarkets in Slovakia, there
          aren't many specialized liquor stores) for around $13.

          Much of it, and especially of its even higher-rated 2001 vintage
          (selling for up to $100 now) has since been yanked from the domestic
          market and exported. It would be fun to find an ultra-cheap bottle
          lingering on a shelf in an tiny store somewhere off the beaten track
          (I wouldn't hold my breath).

          The vintage 2003 of this wine has had reasonably good reviews, too.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          x x x

          Critics Platinum: 2002 Chateau Bela Riesling, Sturovo Region,
          Muzla, $18.99 -- Fruity and tropical with bright acidity... Tart.

          2002 CHATEAU BELA, STUROVO, MUZLA (SLOVAKIA), RIESLING --
          Lovely, lime-like riesling aroma. Very, very bright and refreshing
          lime and flowers aroma. Nice citrus-peel 'minerality.' Blossoms to
          a complex bouquet of peach, grapefruit, wax, nut, mint, and lentil.
          Jorge adds 'Peruvian lemon.' A cross between Austria and Australia!
          Barely off dry, with nice acidity. Red currant snap. Rich and long.
          Unique. Sultry and eager. Lots of vitality and depth. Fabulous
          start here. Price each $18.99
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            I've had Slovak vinegar/wine and I've had excellent Slovak wines, both at the emassy here in Washington, but I just can't remember the name of the good stuff, even though I remember looking at the label.

            Helen

            >>> vlinder49@... 05/02/05 10:53 AM >>>

            Suggestion buy Australian wine in Metro. Less expensive than Slovak vinegar
            type of wines.

            At 07:32 AM 02/05/2005, you wrote:
            >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in
            >Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
            >
            >B-slava
            >Kos~ice
            >Pres~ov
            >Martin
            >
            >Thanks in advance,

            > *
            >
            > *

            To visit your group on the web, go to:
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Thanks, Martin, I'll give it a try.

              Helen

              >>> votrubam@... 05/02/05 1:58 PM >>>
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              To visit your group on the web, go to:
            • LHBrigham
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                Go to Spectacular Slovakia:
                http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_low_mountains.html
                This is the part of the web site discussing the wine region of the Low
                Carpathians just north of Bratislava.
                Then, click on one of the wineries like Masaryk:
                http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_masaryk.html
                and you can read about some of the better wineries in the area. I
                suggest that you attempt to visit one or more of these wineries and
                sample their wines while in country. If you find one that you really
                like - brink it home.

                My experience with Slovak wine was limited - and the 2 bottles we had
                were not that impressive. I would not spend the required effort to
                bring them home. However, I did bring home 4 liters of home made
                Slivovitza given to me by my relatives. This homemade Slivovitza is far
                more important to me than all of the Tokay in Slovakia. I have even
                developed a liking for it!!!!

                Lowell

                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                  I always forget about the _Spectator_ and Spectacular Slovakia. Thanks for the reminder. I printed out the "Pick of the Crop" list and will take it with me.

                  Helen

                  >>> LHBrigham@... 05/02/05 5:32 PM >>>

                  Helen Fedor wrote:

                  >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
                  >
                  >B-slava
                  >Kos~ice
                  >Pres~ov
                  >Martin
                  >
                  >Thanks in advance,
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
                    Here's an article on Slovak wines that appeared in "Wines & Vines," Oct. 2004. It was brought to my attention by the author, who did some research here at LC:

                    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_10_85/ai_n6254314

                    Unfortunately, the importer (Seiler) went out of business.

                  • Gregory J Kopchak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
                      Helen:

                      My daughter-in-law is running a food and wine experience at the
                      Chase Park Plaza in Saint Louis, Missouri on January 28 and 29, 2006.

                      Over 400 wines from all over the world will be available for tasting
                      along with some fabulous foods.

                      www.repstl.org/events/foodandwine/index.shtml

                      Liana has been working over a year to get things ready.

                      Greg Kopchak
                      It's All Relative

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006