Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • agp
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      Hi Noreen

      How I, as a Slovak with not a drop of Croatian blood in me, ended up at a
      Croatian ethnic praish is a story in and of itself.

      I should point out a bit of pre-history. My grandpap Jan Pavuk, from
      Kurov, was Greek Catholic. My grandmum, Katerina Sestokova, from Malcov,
      was Roman Catholic. Malcov and Kurov are somewhat close to each other, but
      whether they knew each other there is unknown. This is all very near the
      Polish border, so much so that if you look out the windows on the north
      side of my grandpap's house you are looking at Poland! (Well, its not that
      close, but you get the idea)

      Anyway, grandmum was truly a sainted woman. Family history says that she
      saw an apparition of the Blessed Mother callin her home before she passed
      away back in 1964.

      When my grandpap wanted to marry her, he went to the Greek Catholic
      parish. He was told no by the pastor. So he said 'go to hell' and became a
      Roman Catholic and ended up at St Florin's in United.

      Once again, this is the stuff of legend. Is it true? Who knows. But it is
      in character for Jan Pavuk!

      Back in 1988 I moved to Millvale PA. The largest parish in town was St
      Anthony. This had been an ethnic German parish. Somehow, I never felt
      quite right here. One day in 1991 or so I asked my neighbor about the
      church on the hill. She said that it was St Nicholas. So I went there, and
      heard Father Romildo Hrboka preach. He is from Croatia, and his words
      combined with his accent brought back a flood of memories of my grandpap
      and the strong Slavic morality he instilled in me. I was captivated, and
      that same day approached Father Romildo about joining up. He said 'Why
      sure. Just send to me your name.'

      Now, our church building is adorned with a set of mural painted by Maxo
      Vanka. These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
      it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
      people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
      Slavic hsitory.

      A year later I became a lector there.

      Life went on and I became a part of the parish family. One day, a young
      priest from Croatia showed up, Father Franjo Doljanin. Next thing you
      know, I'm helping him with his computer. Father Romildo retired, and our
      present pastor Father Gabriel Badurina showed up. All of these priests
      have been from Croatia. Next thing you know, I'm helping with the parish
      mailing list and other computer stuff. Then I became a eucharistic
      minister. Then I became a cantor. Before you know it, I'm doing all manner
      of little things for Father, and ended up heading the Pastoral Council.
      Father has said that I am his right-hand man, but I'm just your average
      Josip, doing whatever the church needs me to do.

      I have been to Zagreb and actually stayed with Father Gabriel's family
      there.

      Oh -- then last year, for the first time ever, I actually sang in
      Croatian!

      I sang the hymn Lord When You Came to The Seashore, Krist na Z^alu.

      Hmmm...I think I've become an adopted Croat!

      BTW -- does anyone have Slovak lyrics for Lord When You Came to The
      Seashore? I'd sure love to surprise Father with that!

      Tony Pavick
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2005
        These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
        it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
        people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
        Slavic hsitory.

        Tony,
        If anyone has been in the past to the Jankola Library in Danville,
        Pennsylvania, or plans to go in the future, there is a very beautiful church on the
        grounds and the stained glass windows depict the Tatra Mountains and other
        immigrant treasure memories. I went there in the mid 1990's and am still trying to
        get the time to go again.
        Noreen

      • gergely
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2005
          The Slovak Club in Bradenville (Snydertown) PA has three murals, one really
          nice one depicting a Slovak city with the Tatras in the background. The two
          others show a local hunting scene, and Snydertown early in the 20th century.
          They were painted in the 60s or early 70s, and every time I go there and ask
          about them, no one seems to know anything about them. Of course the main
          theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
          drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.

          Jack Gergely
          Newport News

          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2005
            In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gergely@...
            writes:
            Of course the main
            theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
            drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
            Hi Ed,
            Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
            Noreen
            p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2005
              Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
              (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4 x
              6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
              In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
              rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
              something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
              You get the number of quarters back that on the paper.
              Of course there are not many winning papers and the
              house always makes money because there is not a 100%
              payback.

              Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots and
              beers because the the hand eye coordination required.
              The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
              American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
              cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
              wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair seats.

              Get the idea?

              (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)

              :-)

              Dr. "Q"

              --- krejc@... wrote:
              > Daylight Time, gergely@...
              > writes:
              > Of course the main
              > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak
              > history, rather
              > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
              > Hi Ed,
              > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
              > Noreen
              > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                Pretty cool, here in the Midwest they play Shake-a-Day
                -- it's a heavy rubber cup with dice in it -- 5 I
                think -- and basically it's sort of like poker -- the
                better your roll, the more likely you are to get a
                free drink -- ditto for the wet tabletops and torn
                vinyl -- but you forgot the duct tape used to
                "attempt" to repair the rips.

                Darts are pretty popular here -- but they put the
                board back by the bathrooms and use those plastic
                tipped darts -- luckily most of the members wear old
                "safety"-type glasses anyhow, so not a lot of damage.

                Caye

                --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
                > Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
                > (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4
                > 6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
                >
                > In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
                > rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
                > something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
                > You get the number of quarters back that on the
                > paper.
                > Of course there are not many winning papers and the
                > house always makes money because there is not a 100%
                > payback.
                >
                > Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots
                > and
                > beers because the the hand eye coordination
                > required.
                > The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
                > American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
                > cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
                > wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair
                > seats.
                >
                > Get the idea?
                >
                > (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)
                >
                > :-)
                >
                > Dr. "Q"
                >
                > --- krejc@... wrote:
                > > In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern
                > > Daylight Time, gergely@...
                > > writes:
                > > Of course the main
                > > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT
                > Slovak
                > > history, rather
                > > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                > > Hi Ed,
                > > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too,
                > :o)
                > > Noreen
                > > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

                > protection around
                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail