Re: Elections

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
      wrote:

      > Let me try to pare it down to the barest minimum for Slovakia, RU.

      Martin, thanks for the pared down version of Slovakia's election
      process. It answers a few questions I had regarding timing of
      elections and the fall of a government. The Czechs are currently
      going through the process as the result of charges of corruption
      against their former Prime Minister, Stanislav Gross and the English
      are currently in the process also.

      My curiosity was piqued by the seeming complexity of the
      parliamentary system and it got me to thinking about party and
      campaign financing. I found an interesting article that covers this
      subject for several Eastern European nations. It is titled "Party
      and Campaign Funding in Eastern Europe: A Study of 18 Member
      Countries of the ACEEEO" The Article is located at:
      http://www.upd.oas.org/lab/Documents/fiapp/ld_cf_10_01_eng.pdf

      In the summary table there are only two countries with a ban on paid
      political advertising; Slovakia and Bosnia H. The paper goes back to
      2001. Is this true currently? On paper it appears that they control
      campaign financing fairly well. Do they still exclude private media
      from being used in campaigning?

      RU