Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2005
      Hi

      This is a beautiful Rosary, and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a beautiful
      prayer, which I count as one of my favorites.

      I have a bit of a story about it .....

      Back in the 90s I began hearing Mother Angelica's shortwave radio station
      WEWN broadcast the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I remember saying, 'What a
      boring and repetitive prayer!' I think at one point I may have even said
      that I hated it. Well, in January of 1997 I wrote to Mother Angelica,
      asking that the nuns at Our Lady of the Angels remember me in their
      prayers, as I sought Christ's guidance in my life, and tried to figure out
      what to do with it. I was in the middle of a divorce at the time. Lo and
      behold, Mother Angelica's staff sent me a prayer card of the Chaplet of
      Divine mercy. Hmmm, I thought, this must mean something. In a sense, I
      found myself saying to God, "Okay, I'll say your prayer, but I ain't gonna
      like it! Nyah! Nyah!" On Ash Wednesday 1997, I began saying the Chaplet
      daily, sometimes praying with the nuns, sometimes praying it in my car
      alone, sometimes before bed. As I owned no Rosary, I counted off the
      prayers on my fingers.

      By mid summer of 1997, I was still saying the Chaplet! I went to a Catholic
      book store, specifically to buy a Rosary so that I cold start saying
      correctly.. I went to the book section, and saw a copy of Sister Faustina
      Kowalska's Diary 'Divine Mercy in My Soul'. I thought 'This might make a
      good read', so I bought it. That night, as I lay in bed, I picked up the
      book and started reading it. I felt chills go through me as read about the
      Chaplet and Sister Faustina. I had no idea of the connection.

      Of course, now Sister Faustina is now Saint Faustina.

      The Chaplet has become a very special prayer to me, and I have been
      privileged to lead a sung version of it on Divine Mercy Sunday at my
      parish, St Nicholas Croatian Catholic Parish in Pittsburgh for the past two
      years. This year we had great attendance at the prayer as we said it as a
      group.

      Tony P
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2005
        Tony,
        I enjoyed very much your email in which you shared your experience of the
        Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Our past Pontiff has made the world more aware of the
        great spirituality which has been given to the world from the Slavic countries.
        Prior to John Paul II, the only Slavic inspiriation that i knew was the
        wonderful and tender Infant Of Prague. The Infant stood in every household of my
        whole family that i can remember when growing up.
        my mother, in particular, felt a devotion to the Infant and i can remember
        that this was the first statue she ever bought for me to put in my bedroom.
        I noticed that you belong to a Croatian parish. my father's mother was from
        a village called Raslavice in very eastern Slovakia. i am starting to believe
        that she may have had Croatian roots. In another year or so, i am going to
        have the opportunity to research my family much better.
        thanks again for sharing and maybe you will make the trip someday to
        Stockbridge, Ma.?
        i have thought about it.
        Noreen

      • agp
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          Hi Noreen

          How I, as a Slovak with not a drop of Croatian blood in me, ended up at a
          Croatian ethnic praish is a story in and of itself.

          I should point out a bit of pre-history. My grandpap Jan Pavuk, from
          Kurov, was Greek Catholic. My grandmum, Katerina Sestokova, from Malcov,
          was Roman Catholic. Malcov and Kurov are somewhat close to each other, but
          whether they knew each other there is unknown. This is all very near the
          Polish border, so much so that if you look out the windows on the north
          side of my grandpap's house you are looking at Poland! (Well, its not that
          close, but you get the idea)

          Anyway, grandmum was truly a sainted woman. Family history says that she
          saw an apparition of the Blessed Mother callin her home before she passed
          away back in 1964.

          When my grandpap wanted to marry her, he went to the Greek Catholic
          parish. He was told no by the pastor. So he said 'go to hell' and became a
          Roman Catholic and ended up at St Florin's in United.

          Once again, this is the stuff of legend. Is it true? Who knows. But it is
          in character for Jan Pavuk!

          Back in 1988 I moved to Millvale PA. The largest parish in town was St
          Anthony. This had been an ethnic German parish. Somehow, I never felt
          quite right here. One day in 1991 or so I asked my neighbor about the
          church on the hill. She said that it was St Nicholas. So I went there, and
          heard Father Romildo Hrboka preach. He is from Croatia, and his words
          combined with his accent brought back a flood of memories of my grandpap
          and the strong Slavic morality he instilled in me. I was captivated, and
          that same day approached Father Romildo about joining up. He said 'Why
          sure. Just send to me your name.'

          Now, our church building is adorned with a set of mural painted by Maxo
          Vanka. These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
          it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
          people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
          Slavic hsitory.

          A year later I became a lector there.

          Life went on and I became a part of the parish family. One day, a young
          priest from Croatia showed up, Father Franjo Doljanin. Next thing you
          know, I'm helping him with his computer. Father Romildo retired, and our
          present pastor Father Gabriel Badurina showed up. All of these priests
          have been from Croatia. Next thing you know, I'm helping with the parish
          mailing list and other computer stuff. Then I became a eucharistic
          minister. Then I became a cantor. Before you know it, I'm doing all manner
          of little things for Father, and ended up heading the Pastoral Council.
          Father has said that I am his right-hand man, but I'm just your average
          Josip, doing whatever the church needs me to do.

          I have been to Zagreb and actually stayed with Father Gabriel's family
          there.

          Oh -- then last year, for the first time ever, I actually sang in
          Croatian!

          I sang the hymn Lord When You Came to The Seashore, Krist na Z^alu.

          Hmmm...I think I've become an adopted Croat!

          BTW -- does anyone have Slovak lyrics for Lord When You Came to The
          Seashore? I'd sure love to surprise Father with that!

          Tony Pavick
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2005
            These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
            it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
            people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
            Slavic hsitory.

            Tony,
            If anyone has been in the past to the Jankola Library in Danville,
            Pennsylvania, or plans to go in the future, there is a very beautiful church on the
            grounds and the stained glass windows depict the Tatra Mountains and other
            immigrant treasure memories. I went there in the mid 1990's and am still trying to
            get the time to go again.
            Noreen

          • gergely
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2005
              The Slovak Club in Bradenville (Snydertown) PA has three murals, one really
              nice one depicting a Slovak city with the Tatras in the background. The two
              others show a local hunting scene, and Snydertown early in the 20th century.
              They were painted in the 60s or early 70s, and every time I go there and ask
              about them, no one seems to know anything about them. Of course the main
              theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
              drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.

              Jack Gergely
              Newport News

              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gergely@...
                writes:
                Of course the main
                theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
                drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                Hi Ed,
                Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
                Noreen
                p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

              • Dr. Joe Q
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                  Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
                  (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4 x
                  6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
                  In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
                  rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
                  something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
                  You get the number of quarters back that on the paper.
                  Of course there are not many winning papers and the
                  house always makes money because there is not a 100%
                  payback.

                  Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots and
                  beers because the the hand eye coordination required.
                  The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
                  American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
                  cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
                  wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair seats.

                  Get the idea?

                  (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)

                  :-)

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- krejc@... wrote:
                  > Daylight Time, gergely@...
                  > writes:
                  > Of course the main
                  > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak
                  > history, rather
                  > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                  > Hi Ed,
                  > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
                  > Noreen
                  > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                    Pretty cool, here in the Midwest they play Shake-a-Day
                    -- it's a heavy rubber cup with dice in it -- 5 I
                    think -- and basically it's sort of like poker -- the
                    better your roll, the more likely you are to get a
                    free drink -- ditto for the wet tabletops and torn
                    vinyl -- but you forgot the duct tape used to
                    "attempt" to repair the rips.

                    Darts are pretty popular here -- but they put the
                    board back by the bathrooms and use those plastic
                    tipped darts -- luckily most of the members wear old
                    "safety"-type glasses anyhow, so not a lot of damage.

                    Caye

                    --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
                    > Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
                    > (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4
                    > 6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
                    >
                    > In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
                    > rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
                    > something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
                    > You get the number of quarters back that on the
                    > paper.
                    > Of course there are not many winning papers and the
                    > house always makes money because there is not a 100%
                    > payback.
                    >
                    > Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots
                    > and
                    > beers because the the hand eye coordination
                    > required.
                    > The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
                    > American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
                    > cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
                    > wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair
                    > seats.
                    >
                    > Get the idea?
                    >
                    > (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)
                    >
                    > :-)
                    >
                    > Dr. "Q"
                    >
                    > --- krejc@... wrote:
                    > > In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern
                    > > Daylight Time, gergely@...
                    > > writes:
                    > > Of course the main
                    > > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT
                    > Slovak
                    > > history, rather
                    > > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                    > > Hi Ed,
                    > > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too,
                    > :o)
                    > > Noreen
                    > > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

                    > protection around
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail