Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
      A fellow in the Carpathian Mountains has put together
      a new Rosary that blends Slovak Roman Catholic Rosary
      tradition with Rusyn Eastern Christian Jesus prayer
      traditions.

      Sister Faustina and Mother Angelica have brought the
      Eastern Jesus Prayer to the Roman Catholic Church thanks
      to the help of John Paul II.

      Many Roman Catholic Diocese in America now celebrate
      "Divine Mercy" Sunday the week after Easter.

      I would be very interested in any comments anyone may
      have on this "Divine Mercy" Chotki/Chaplet/Rosary.

      Look at

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6173698809

      If anyone wants one, do not place a bid but send email to
      greg@...

      Should have more in a couple weeks and will ship for $4.95
      each plus $2.00 shipping per order.

      Thanks

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2005
        Happy Easter everyone!

        Christos Voskrese.

        Jack and Chris Gergely
        Newport News
      • agp@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2005
          Hi

          This is a beautiful Rosary, and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a beautiful
          prayer, which I count as one of my favorites.

          I have a bit of a story about it .....

          Back in the 90s I began hearing Mother Angelica's shortwave radio station
          WEWN broadcast the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I remember saying, 'What a
          boring and repetitive prayer!' I think at one point I may have even said
          that I hated it. Well, in January of 1997 I wrote to Mother Angelica,
          asking that the nuns at Our Lady of the Angels remember me in their
          prayers, as I sought Christ's guidance in my life, and tried to figure out
          what to do with it. I was in the middle of a divorce at the time. Lo and
          behold, Mother Angelica's staff sent me a prayer card of the Chaplet of
          Divine mercy. Hmmm, I thought, this must mean something. In a sense, I
          found myself saying to God, "Okay, I'll say your prayer, but I ain't gonna
          like it! Nyah! Nyah!" On Ash Wednesday 1997, I began saying the Chaplet
          daily, sometimes praying with the nuns, sometimes praying it in my car
          alone, sometimes before bed. As I owned no Rosary, I counted off the
          prayers on my fingers.

          By mid summer of 1997, I was still saying the Chaplet! I went to a Catholic
          book store, specifically to buy a Rosary so that I cold start saying
          correctly.. I went to the book section, and saw a copy of Sister Faustina
          Kowalska's Diary 'Divine Mercy in My Soul'. I thought 'This might make a
          good read', so I bought it. That night, as I lay in bed, I picked up the
          book and started reading it. I felt chills go through me as read about the
          Chaplet and Sister Faustina. I had no idea of the connection.

          Of course, now Sister Faustina is now Saint Faustina.

          The Chaplet has become a very special prayer to me, and I have been
          privileged to lead a sung version of it on Divine Mercy Sunday at my
          parish, St Nicholas Croatian Catholic Parish in Pittsburgh for the past two
          years. This year we had great attendance at the prayer as we said it as a
          group.

          Tony P
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            Tony,
            I enjoyed very much your email in which you shared your experience of the
            Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Our past Pontiff has made the world more aware of the
            great spirituality which has been given to the world from the Slavic countries.
            Prior to John Paul II, the only Slavic inspiriation that i knew was the
            wonderful and tender Infant Of Prague. The Infant stood in every household of my
            whole family that i can remember when growing up.
            my mother, in particular, felt a devotion to the Infant and i can remember
            that this was the first statue she ever bought for me to put in my bedroom.
            I noticed that you belong to a Croatian parish. my father's mother was from
            a village called Raslavice in very eastern Slovakia. i am starting to believe
            that she may have had Croatian roots. In another year or so, i am going to
            have the opportunity to research my family much better.
            thanks again for sharing and maybe you will make the trip someday to
            Stockbridge, Ma.?
            i have thought about it.
            Noreen

          • agp
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2005
              Hi Noreen

              How I, as a Slovak with not a drop of Croatian blood in me, ended up at a
              Croatian ethnic praish is a story in and of itself.

              I should point out a bit of pre-history. My grandpap Jan Pavuk, from
              Kurov, was Greek Catholic. My grandmum, Katerina Sestokova, from Malcov,
              was Roman Catholic. Malcov and Kurov are somewhat close to each other, but
              whether they knew each other there is unknown. This is all very near the
              Polish border, so much so that if you look out the windows on the north
              side of my grandpap's house you are looking at Poland! (Well, its not that
              close, but you get the idea)

              Anyway, grandmum was truly a sainted woman. Family history says that she
              saw an apparition of the Blessed Mother callin her home before she passed
              away back in 1964.

              When my grandpap wanted to marry her, he went to the Greek Catholic
              parish. He was told no by the pastor. So he said 'go to hell' and became a
              Roman Catholic and ended up at St Florin's in United.

              Once again, this is the stuff of legend. Is it true? Who knows. But it is
              in character for Jan Pavuk!

              Back in 1988 I moved to Millvale PA. The largest parish in town was St
              Anthony. This had been an ethnic German parish. Somehow, I never felt
              quite right here. One day in 1991 or so I asked my neighbor about the
              church on the hill. She said that it was St Nicholas. So I went there, and
              heard Father Romildo Hrboka preach. He is from Croatia, and his words
              combined with his accent brought back a flood of memories of my grandpap
              and the strong Slavic morality he instilled in me. I was captivated, and
              that same day approached Father Romildo about joining up. He said 'Why
              sure. Just send to me your name.'

              Now, our church building is adorned with a set of mural painted by Maxo
              Vanka. These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
              it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
              people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
              Slavic hsitory.

              A year later I became a lector there.

              Life went on and I became a part of the parish family. One day, a young
              priest from Croatia showed up, Father Franjo Doljanin. Next thing you
              know, I'm helping him with his computer. Father Romildo retired, and our
              present pastor Father Gabriel Badurina showed up. All of these priests
              have been from Croatia. Next thing you know, I'm helping with the parish
              mailing list and other computer stuff. Then I became a eucharistic
              minister. Then I became a cantor. Before you know it, I'm doing all manner
              of little things for Father, and ended up heading the Pastoral Council.
              Father has said that I am his right-hand man, but I'm just your average
              Josip, doing whatever the church needs me to do.

              I have been to Zagreb and actually stayed with Father Gabriel's family
              there.

              Oh -- then last year, for the first time ever, I actually sang in
              Croatian!

              I sang the hymn Lord When You Came to The Seashore, Krist na Z^alu.

              Hmmm...I think I've become an adopted Croat!

              BTW -- does anyone have Slovak lyrics for Lord When You Came to The
              Seashore? I'd sure love to surprise Father with that!

              Tony Pavick
            • krejc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                These murals tellthe story of the immigrant experience, and relate
                it to the strength of Croatian Catholicism, devotion to Mary, the way the
                people have struggled in time of war, and the importance of our mothers in
                Slavic hsitory.

                Tony,
                If anyone has been in the past to the Jankola Library in Danville,
                Pennsylvania, or plans to go in the future, there is a very beautiful church on the
                grounds and the stained glass windows depict the Tatra Mountains and other
                immigrant treasure memories. I went there in the mid 1990's and am still trying to
                get the time to go again.
                Noreen

              • gergely
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                  The Slovak Club in Bradenville (Snydertown) PA has three murals, one really
                  nice one depicting a Slovak city with the Tatras in the background. The two
                  others show a local hunting scene, and Snydertown early in the 20th century.
                  They were painted in the 60s or early 70s, and every time I go there and ask
                  about them, no one seems to know anything about them. Of course the main
                  theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
                  drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.

                  Jack Gergely
                  Newport News

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                    In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gergely@...
                    writes:
                    Of course the main
                    theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak history, rather
                    drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                    Hi Ed,
                    Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
                    Noreen
                    p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

                  • Dr. Joe Q
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                      Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
                      (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4 x
                      6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
                      In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
                      rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
                      something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
                      You get the number of quarters back that on the paper.
                      Of course there are not many winning papers and the
                      house always makes money because there is not a 100%
                      payback.

                      Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots and
                      beers because the the hand eye coordination required.
                      The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
                      American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
                      cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
                      wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair seats.

                      Get the idea?

                      (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)

                      :-)

                      Dr. "Q"

                      --- krejc@... wrote:
                      > Daylight Time, gergely@...
                      > writes:
                      > Of course the main
                      > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT Slovak
                      > history, rather
                      > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                      > Hi Ed,
                      > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too, :o)
                      > Noreen
                      > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                        Pretty cool, here in the Midwest they play Shake-a-Day
                        -- it's a heavy rubber cup with dice in it -- 5 I
                        think -- and basically it's sort of like poker -- the
                        better your roll, the more likely you are to get a
                        free drink -- ditto for the wet tabletops and torn
                        vinyl -- but you forgot the duct tape used to
                        "attempt" to repair the rips.

                        Darts are pretty popular here -- but they put the
                        board back by the bathrooms and use those plastic
                        tipped darts -- luckily most of the members wear old
                        "safety"-type glasses anyhow, so not a lot of damage.

                        Caye

                        --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
                        > Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
                        > (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4
                        > 6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
                        >
                        > In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
                        > rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
                        > something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
                        > You get the number of quarters back that on the
                        > paper.
                        > Of course there are not many winning papers and the
                        > house always makes money because there is not a 100%
                        > payback.
                        >
                        > Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots
                        > and
                        > beers because the the hand eye coordination
                        > required.
                        > The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
                        > American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
                        > cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
                        > wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair
                        > seats.
                        >
                        > Get the idea?
                        >
                        > (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > Dr. "Q"
                        >
                        > --- krejc@... wrote:
                        > > In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern
                        > > Daylight Time, gergely@...
                        > > writes:
                        > > Of course the main
                        > > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT
                        > Slovak
                        > > history, rather
                        > > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
                        > > Hi Ed,
                        > > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too,
                        > :o)
                        > > Noreen
                        > > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

                        > protection around
                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail