Trust or mistrust

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
      Below are the percentages of the Slovaks who say they trust the given
      institution.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      x x x

      92% Firefighters
      78% Radio
      71% TV
      70% Army
      66% President
      61% National Bank ("the Fed")
      52% Churches
      49% Local governments
      47% European Commission (European Union)
      46% Constitutional Court
      46% Supreme Court
      45% European Parliament (European Union)
      43% Council of Ministers (European Union)
      40% Police
      33% Attorney's Office/Prosecution
      30% Trade Unions
      29% Courts
      24% Parliament (Bratislava)
      24% Cabinet/Government (Bratislava)
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
        At 04:37 AM 4/28/2005 +0000, you wrote:
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>

        ********
        40% Police
        33% Attorney's Office/Prosecution
        30% Trade Unions
        29% Courts
        24% Parliament (Bratislava)
        24% Cabinet/Government (Bratislava)

        Any reason for the triple "x" rating? ;-)

        I can understand the mistrust of police, Attorney's Office and
        possibly courts based on their past history but I'm not certain why
        the trade unions are so low. Also, why the great disparity between
        the President and the Parliament and Cabinet? Is it because he has
        little power compared to the Prime Minister? I see the Czech
        Communists are still a force in the government. Is this true in
        Slovakia? Could the economic reforms they've made be in jeopardy in
        the next election? How is the timing of national and local elections
        determined?

        RU
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
          > I see the Czech Communists are still a force in the
          > government. Is this true in Slovakia?

          No, no one in the Slovak cabinet is a former member of the Communist
          Party.

          > why the great disparity between the President and the
          > Parliament and Cabinet? Is it because he has little power
          > compared to the Prime Minister?

          I think that's part of it, RU. The President's Office is a separate,
          largely ceremonial institution. Another important reason is -- by
          contrast to the ratings of the previous Presidents -- that none of
          the political parties is obsessed with criticizing this President the
          way some were in the past. And Gasparovic has so far proved to be
          polished and non-controversial. He used to have better-than-expected
          ratings, too, when he was the Speaker of the Parliament (1992-1998),
          although he was associated with the then ruling party disliked
          intensely by a large segment of the Slovaks.

          > the mistrust of police, Attorney's Office and
          > possibly courts based on their past history

          A conviction that the government and its branches are corrupt goes
          back all the way to the Habsburg monarchy among the Slovaks. What
          adds to it today is that there were several publicized instances when
          judges, lawyers, policemen were discovered to be taking bribes. On
          the one hand, it surely means that something is being done about it.
          But many probably view it just as confirmation of what they knew all
          along.

          > why the trade unions are so low

          Partly, they are seen as associated with the government. A
          consortium of the trade unions remained a "national office" even
          after the collapse of communism when what was called 'the trade
          unions' was just a make-believe institution. The post-communist
          governments and trade unions have had formal mutual arrangements --
          joint sessions, etc.

          At the same time, the Slovak laws guarantee lots of social comforts,
          so there is no focused expectation of what the trade unions' next
          goal should be except perhaps "more money," which they cannot
          deliver, of course, on a nation-wide scale.

          Slovakia has a 5-6 week paid vacation for everyone plus 15 national
          holidays (i.e., the Slovaks don't work, but are, technically, paid
          for 8 weeks -- 15% of the year), almost unlimited paid sick leave (up
          to about 50% of the current national average salary), subsidized
          vacations, health care for everyone, paid maternal leave of 6 months
          (up to about 50% of the current national average salary) and a
          guaranteed availability of her job if the mother wants to stay at
          home with her child for up to 3 years, university education has been
          free (there are protests now that the government wants to introduce
          tuition amounting to a fraction of the average monthly salary for the
          whole semester)...

          (It is rather comical to hear visitors/journalists only to compare
          and pity the low incomes in Slovakia without having a clue about how
          comfortable some aspects of life can be. The picture is more
          complicated "behind the scenes" and it's not easy to factor it all in
          for an overall assessment.)

          It's not that people wouldn't want more, of course, but there is no
          obvious focus on what most people would expect of the trade unions
          next, what might rally greater support for the trade unions, which,
          moreover, are seen as corrupt as "the rest of the government."

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • KLENOVICH
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
            All this discussion about the government of Slovakia has gotten me wondering about the various political patries. Does anyone know what political parties there are in Slovakia and what they stand for?

            Thank you,
            Ed Klenovich

          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, KLENOVICH <nsspiker@o...> wrote:
              > All this discussion about the government of Slovakia has gotten me
              wondering about the various political patries. Does anyone know
              what political parties there are in Slovakia and what they stand for?

              > Thank you,
              > Ed Klenovich

              Ed try this URL: http://www.fes.sk/arch_en/2002_elections.pdf

              There have probably been some changes since 2002 but I imagine this
              PDF document is still valid.

              SLOVAK POLITICAL PARTIES BEFORE PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS 2002
              Marek Rybáfi

              Contents:
              1. A description of the electoral system and its changes
              2. Characteristics of the relevant Slovak political parties
              2.1 The Slovak Democratic Coalition (SDK) and The Slovak Democratic
              and Christian Union
              (SDKU)
              2.2 The Christian Democratic Movement (KDH)
              2.3 The Party of Democratic Left (SDL) and the Social Democratic
              Alternative (SDA)
              2.4 The Party of Civic Understanding (SOP)
              2.5 The Party of the Hungarian Coalition (SMK)
              2.6 The Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (HZDS)
              2.7 The Slovak National Party (SNS) and The True Slovak National
              Party (PSNS)
              2.8 SMER
              2.9 The Alliance of a New Citizen (ANO)
              3. Political parties' attitude towards selected policy and political
              issues
              3.1 Parties and economic policies
              3.2 Parties and the Reform of Public Administration
              3.3 Parties and minorities
              3.4 Parties and accession to the EU and NATO
              3.5 Parties and the Post-Election situation
              4. Appendixes
              4.1 A list of Abbreviations
              4.2 Electoral results in Slovakia 1990-1998 (elections to the
              National Council)
              4.3 The Composition of Slovak Governments 1990-2002
              4.4 Electoral results to the Regional Assemblies – number of elected
              representatives per
              party (December 2001)
              4.5 Support for selected parties in April and May 2002 according to
              various polling agencies
              5. Literature

              RU
            • sandman6294
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
                wrote:
                > > I see the Czech Communists are still a force in the
                > > government. Is this true in Slovakia?
                >
                > No, no one in the Slovak cabinet is a former member of the
                Communist
                > Party.

                Martin,

                Thanks for clarifying the reason for the low standing of their labor
                unions. I was a little surprised by the extent of the benefits they
                have. I did get the impression that some felt Americans were
                workaholics when I visited.

                I was able to locate some basic information on their election
                procedures at:
                http://www.travelblog.org/World/lo-gov.html

                "Executive branch: chief of state: President Ivan GASPAROVIC (since
                15 June 2004) head of government: Prime Minister Mikulas DZURINDA
                (since 30 October 1998); Deputy Prime Minister Ivan MIKLOS (since 30
                October 1998) cabinet: Cabinet appointed by the president on the
                recommendation of the prime minister elections: president elected by
                direct, popular vote for a five-year term; election last held 3 April
                and 17 April 2004 (next to be held April 2009); following National
                Council elections, the leader of the majority party or the leader of
                a majority coalition is usually appointed prime minister by the
                president election results: Ivan GASPAROVIC elected president in
                runoff; percent of vote - Ivan GASPAROVIC 59.9%, Vladimir MECIAR
                40.1%; Mikulas DZURINDA reelected prime minister October 2002 note:
                government coalition - SDKU, SMK, KDH, ANO

                Legislative branch: unicameral National Council of the Slovak
                Republic or Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky (150 seats; members are
                elected on the basis of proportional representation to serve four-
                year terms) elections: last held 20-21 September 2002 (next to be
                held NA September 2006) election results: percent of vote by party -
                HZDS-LS 19.5%, SDKU 15.1%, SMER 13.5%, SMK 11.2%, KDH 8.3%, ANO 8%,
                KSS 6.3%; seats by party - governing coalition 67 (SDKU 21, SMK 20,
                KDH 15, ANO 11), opposition 83 (HZDS 26, Smer 25, KSS 10, People's
                Union 8, Free Forum 7, and independents 7)

                Judicial branch: Supreme Court (judges are elected by the National
                Council); Constitutional Court (judges appointed by president from
                group of nominees approved by the National Council)"

                I still have a way to go when it comes to understanding the
                parliamentary form of government.

                RU
              • mario veneni
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2005
                  ... Mr. Eduard kukan , foreign minister was amember of
                  Komunist party befor 1989

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Vladimir Linder
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2005
                    Not only that he was also a secret agent and an informer same as our Slovak
                    honorary consul here in Vancovuer. Listed as secret agent Lisiak with
                    password Lisiak.

                    Communists are in most top posts in Slovakia still today.

                    The secretary for Slovaks abroad with the seat in the government Mr. Claude
                    Balaz, communist and a secret agent in the previous government just
                    resigned the post when the news was released recently and did you know that
                    Slovak word organization demands his reinstatement?? Yes they do. But they
                    only represent handful of people.

                    Vladi

                  • Martin Votruba
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2005
                      > ... Mr. Eduard kukan , foreign minister was amember of
                      > Komunist party befor 1989

                      Thank you for the correction, mario veneni, that was a serious error
                      on my part.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    • Vladimir Linder
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2005
                        So what, 90% of the voted in people were communists in Slovakia.