"brdo" & "britva"

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2005
      "(su) na jednom brde tkani"
      lit.: they're woven on the same loom [this isn't the word for loom, but which part of it?]
      (they are) cast of the same mould
      birds of a feather

      "Kto sa topi, aj britvy/slamky sa chyta"
      lit.: A drowning person will even clutch at a razor/straw
      A drowning man will clutch/catch at a straw

      Helen
    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2005
        I'm pretty sure the brdo is the reed on a loom. The reed is a long
        narrow frame with thin slats (originally made from reeds) in it, so
        many per inch - the vertical threads of the loom pass through the
        spaces between the slats. That keeps the threads in order and evenly
        spaced as you weave in the horizontal threads. You use different
        reeds with different numbers of slats per inch, depending on how dense
        you want the cloth to be and how thick the thread is.

        So cloth woven using the same reed would come out the same.

        Joe