Re: [Slovak-World] Seeking recommendations for restaurants

    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 20, 2005
      I would if I were going to BB. I'd hoped to go there, but it doesn't fit in the budget.

      Helen

      >>> gek0105@... 04/20/05 3:25 PM >>>
      Helen,

      Suggest you consider the QUATRO Restautant in Banska Bystrica. The food and service were exvellent and the prices reasonable. The restaurant is located at the top of square at Dolna 5, BB.

      Gil K.

      Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      Yes, I know first-hand about working all day, commuting, and trying to serve decent home-cooked food (which is why I spend Sunday afternoons in the kitchen, cooking for the week).

      Any more suggestions on restaurants in Slovakia??????

      Helen

      >>> gek0105@... 04/20/05 2:01 PM >>>
      Helen,

      I believe cooking from scratch is very commendable and if more people did this it would keep the families out of the fast food restaurants.

      It appears however that many families are very dependent on eating out and fast food restaurants are a very attractive alternative to cooking from scratch at home. With Mom and Pop both working and probably enduring long commutes from job to home, getting a burger form Mickey D's, BK, Wendy's or a pizza at Pizza Hut is a quick solution and easy decision to busy schedule issues.

      I think this is also starting to be an issue in the big cities in Slovakia. A relative in Banska Bystrica has a full time day job and his wife also works long days but fortunately his mother lives with them and cooks for the family.

      Unfortunately there are some couples that both work and there is no one to cook at home so they are starting to look for eating alternatives. And I'm sure this is a significant reason for the proliferation of McDonald's, BK, Wendy's and Pizza Huts in Europe, including Slovakia.

      The McDonald's in Kosice was a very busy place at dinner time when we drove by in July 2001!

      Gil K.

      Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      I DO cook from scratch, which is why I don't eat at McD's.

      Helen

      >>> vlinder49@... 04/20/05 12:34 PM >>>
      Perhaps some of the mothers complaining on this list should take cooking
      lessons and kici it up a bit??

      Vladi

      At 08:49 AM 20/04/2005, you wrote:
      >Why blame Mickey D, and the other fast food shops, for the poor eating
      >habits of the children? I've not seen any of these fast food restaurants
      >dragging the kids in to eat; don't you think parents have some
      >responsibility for the food their children consume?
      >
      >Gil K.
      >
      >Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
      >
      >Not that I'm a Barbie Doll -- but look what it's doing
      >to our children.
      >
      >I'll avoid -- even the washrooms and parking lots.
      >

      >Caye
      >

      >--- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
      > > At 02:05 AM 20/04/2005, you wrote:
      > >
      > > >McDonalds washrooms are very clean, you can eat
      > > from the floor in any
      > > >washroom.
      > > >
      > > >Vladi

      > > even

      > > McSh**
      > > What you eat off the floor is probably better than
      > > the food.
      > >
      > > Nick

      > *
      >
      > *