Re: [Slovak-World] Tuesday proverb

  • BJLK@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
      In a message dated 4/12/2005 9:57:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      nickh@... writes:

      "Nie je chlap kaz~dy, c~o gate nosi"

      -----

      I'm probably giving away my age with one. But, a long time ago (when I was
      a child), boys wore short pants and knickers until they were almost old
      enough for their confirmation--the occasion for wearing their first pair of long
      trousers. I can remember my mother telling me very softly that "long pants
      don't mean he's a man yet," when one of these teenaged young men did something
      unwise or foolish. It's been too long, and I can't remember exactly how she
      worded it in Slovak, but this reminds me of her long-ago cautionary remarks
      to me.

      B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)