Re: [Slovak-World] What is Slovakia doing concerning the loss of our Holy Father?

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
      I, too, find it hard to believe only 4 percent of the Czechs attend
      church regularly. S~koda. Julia M.

      > Although most Czechs are not practising Catholics -
      > only some four percent
      > of the population attend mass regularly - Pope John
      > Paul II was very
      > popular in the Czech Republic and hugely respected for
      > his role in helping
      > to bring about the fall of communism. Czech was one of
      > the many languages
      > that the Pope spoke, and he visited the Czech Republic
      > three times during
      > his papacy, firstly in 1990 - less than a year after
      > the fall of
      > communism. To the former Czech President and former
      > dissident, Vaclav
      > Havel, Pope John Paul II was "his wise and
      > understanding
      > confessor" who gave him hope and the strength to
      > cherish life.
      > **************
      > Not Slovakia but close. I was surprised at the low
      > regular church
      > attendence (4%) in the Czech Republic.
      >
      > RU

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
        > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
        > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?

        Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?

        Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
        Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
        calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?

        The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
        1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
        come from Slovakia.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
          Why not? Slovak is still spoken it the area and they even have a Slovak
          elementary school in Nowa Biala.

          First the area was part of Austro Hungarian monarchy and then it became
          part of Czechoslovakia, Slovak part. Then it was exchanged for some
          property that is now in Moravia. During the WWII it was back as Slovaks
          land and after the war it went back to Poland.

          Vladi

          At 06:21 PM 03/04/2005, you wrote:
          > > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
          > > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?
          >
          >Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?
          >
          >Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
          >Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
          >calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?
          >
          >The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
          >1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
          >come from Slovakia.
          >

          >Martin
          >
          >votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          > *
          >
          > *
        • William Kollar
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
            Just curious about all this talk of the Pope !

            Are these posts about the Pope, Political, Religious or may be a mixture of both. Since the list has turned to state of "Pale
            pabulum" and Pope's position is a 50-50 mixture of each, should we even be discussing this on this list ?

            ________________________________

            Ever Wonder ?

            _bill

            | > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
            | > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?
            |
            | Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?
            |
            | Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
            | Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
            | calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?
            |
            | The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
            | 1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
            | come from Slovakia.
            |

            | Martin
            |
            | votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            |

            | Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jim M
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
              No. I never wonder. John Paul III was a great man besides being a religious
              leader. You should read his biography. Very inspiring.

              _____

              _____

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .