Re: [Slovak-World] What is Slovakia doing concerning the loss of our Holy Father?

  • Sara Peticiously
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
      At 11:06 AM 4/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:

      >Our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II passed away
      Saturday, which was
      >covered all day and night by even mainstream media.
      Does anyone
      >know of internet links to information of how Slovakia
      in mourning?

      >Claudia
      =====================================================================From

      Radio Prague:

      Czech Catholics join millions around the world in
      mourning the death of
      Pope John Paul II
      Pope John Paul II, the first Slav head of the Catholic
      Church in history,
      died at just after nine-thirty on Saturday evening. At
      noon on Sunday,
      church bells tolled throughout the country to honour
      the Pontiff. To the
      head of the Czech Catholic Church, Cardinal Miloslav
      Vlk, the Pope was a
      great person who led an untiring fight for human
      rights, both before and
      after the end of the Cold War. The priest and former
      Czech dissident Tomas
      Halik pointed to his personal charisma and to his
      symbolic significance.

      Although most Czechs are not practising Catholics -
      only some four percent
      of the population attend mass regularly - Pope John
      Paul II was very
      popular in the Czech Republic and hugely respected for
      his role in helping
      to bring about the fall of communism. Czech was one of
      the many languages
      that the Pope spoke, and he visited the Czech Republic
      three times during
      his papacy, firstly in 1990 - less than a year after
      the fall of
      communism. To the former Czech President and former
      dissident, Vaclav
      Havel, Pope John Paul II was "his wise and
      understanding
      confessor" who gave him hope and the strength to
      cherish life.
      **************
      Not Slovakia but close. I was surprised at the low
      regular church
      attendence (4%) in the Czech Republic.

      RU

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
        I, too, find it hard to believe only 4 percent of the Czechs attend
        church regularly. S~koda. Julia M.

        > Although most Czechs are not practising Catholics -
        > only some four percent
        > of the population attend mass regularly - Pope John
        > Paul II was very
        > popular in the Czech Republic and hugely respected for
        > his role in helping
        > to bring about the fall of communism. Czech was one of
        > the many languages
        > that the Pope spoke, and he visited the Czech Republic
        > three times during
        > his papacy, firstly in 1990 - less than a year after
        > the fall of
        > communism. To the former Czech President and former
        > dissident, Vaclav
        > Havel, Pope John Paul II was "his wise and
        > understanding
        > confessor" who gave him hope and the strength to
        > cherish life.
        > **************
        > Not Slovakia but close. I was surprised at the low
        > regular church
        > attendence (4%) in the Czech Republic.
        >
        > RU

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
          > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
          > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?

          Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?

          Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
          Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
          calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?

          The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
          1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
          come from Slovakia.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
            Why not? Slovak is still spoken it the area and they even have a Slovak
            elementary school in Nowa Biala.

            First the area was part of Austro Hungarian monarchy and then it became
            part of Czechoslovakia, Slovak part. Then it was exchanged for some
            property that is now in Moravia. During the WWII it was back as Slovaks
            land and after the war it went back to Poland.

            Vladi

            At 06:21 PM 03/04/2005, you wrote:
            > > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
            > > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?
            >
            >Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?
            >
            >Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
            >Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
            >calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?
            >
            >The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
            >1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
            >come from Slovakia.
            >

            >Martin
            >
            >votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

            > *
            >
            > *
          • William Kollar
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
              Just curious about all this talk of the Pope !

              Are these posts about the Pope, Political, Religious or may be a mixture of both. Since the list has turned to state of "Pale
              pabulum" and Pope's position is a 50-50 mixture of each, should we even be discussing this on this list ?

              ________________________________

              Ever Wonder ?

              _bill

              | > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
              | > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?
              |
              | Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?
              |
              | Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
              | Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
              | calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?
              |
              | The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
              | 1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
              | come from Slovakia.
              |

              | Martin
              |
              | votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              |

              | Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jim M
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
                No. I never wonder. John Paul III was a great man besides being a religious
                leader. You should read his biography. Very inspiring.

                _____

                _____

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .