What is Slovakia doing concerning the loss of our Holy Father?

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3 8:06 AM
      Our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II passed away Saturday, which was
      covered all day and night by even mainstream media. Does anyone
      know of internet links to information of how Slovakia in mourning?

      Claudia

    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 8:18 AM
        Claudia:

        Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn Byzantine Catholic
        Slovak?

        I wonder if the Slovak Press will call attention to this fact?

        If anyone sees an mention of this, please let the list know.

        Thanks

        Greg Kopchak

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 2:35 PM
          At 11:06 AM 4/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:

          >Our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II passed away
          Saturday, which was
          >covered all day and night by even mainstream media.
          Does anyone
          >know of internet links to information of how Slovakia
          in mourning?

          >Claudia
          =====================================================================From

          Radio Prague:

          Czech Catholics join millions around the world in
          mourning the death of
          Pope John Paul II
          Pope John Paul II, the first Slav head of the Catholic
          Church in history,
          died at just after nine-thirty on Saturday evening. At
          noon on Sunday,
          church bells tolled throughout the country to honour
          the Pontiff. To the
          head of the Czech Catholic Church, Cardinal Miloslav
          Vlk, the Pope was a
          great person who led an untiring fight for human
          rights, both before and
          after the end of the Cold War. The priest and former
          Czech dissident Tomas
          Halik pointed to his personal charisma and to his
          symbolic significance.

          Although most Czechs are not practising Catholics -
          only some four percent
          of the population attend mass regularly - Pope John
          Paul II was very
          popular in the Czech Republic and hugely respected for
          his role in helping
          to bring about the fall of communism. Czech was one of
          the many languages
          that the Pope spoke, and he visited the Czech Republic
          three times during
          his papacy, firstly in 1990 - less than a year after
          the fall of
          communism. To the former Czech President and former
          dissident, Vaclav
          Havel, Pope John Paul II was "his wise and
          understanding
          confessor" who gave him hope and the strength to
          cherish life.
          **************
          Not Slovakia but close. I was surprised at the low
          regular church
          attendence (4%) in the Czech Republic.

          RU

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Matchett
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3 3:11 PM
            I, too, find it hard to believe only 4 percent of the Czechs attend
            church regularly. S~koda. Julia M.

            > Although most Czechs are not practising Catholics -
            > only some four percent
            > of the population attend mass regularly - Pope John
            > Paul II was very
            > popular in the Czech Republic and hugely respected for
            > his role in helping
            > to bring about the fall of communism. Czech was one of
            > the many languages
            > that the Pope spoke, and he visited the Czech Republic
            > three times during
            > his papacy, firstly in 1990 - less than a year after
            > the fall of
            > communism. To the former Czech President and former
            > dissident, Vaclav
            > Havel, Pope John Paul II was "his wise and
            > understanding
            > confessor" who gave him hope and the strength to
            > cherish life.
            > **************
            > Not Slovakia but close. I was surprised at the low
            > regular church
            > attendence (4%) in the Czech Republic.
            >
            > RU

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3 6:21 PM
              > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
              > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?

              Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?

              Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
              Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
              calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?

              The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
              1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
              come from Slovakia.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3 7:20 PM
                Why not? Slovak is still spoken it the area and they even have a Slovak
                elementary school in Nowa Biala.

                First the area was part of Austro Hungarian monarchy and then it became
                part of Czechoslovakia, Slovak part. Then it was exchanged for some
                property that is now in Moravia. During the WWII it was back as Slovaks
                land and after the war it went back to Poland.

                Vladi

                At 06:21 PM 03/04/2005, you wrote:
                > > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
                > > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?
                >
                >Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?
                >
                >Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
                >Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
                >calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?
                >
                >The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
                >1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
                >come from Slovakia.
                >

                >Martin
                >
                >votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                > *
                >
                > *
              • William Kollar
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4 2:41 PM
                  Just curious about all this talk of the Pope !

                  Are these posts about the Pope, Political, Religious or may be a mixture of both. Since the list has turned to state of "Pale
                  pabulum" and Pope's position is a 50-50 mixture of each, should we even be discussing this on this list ?

                  ________________________________

                  Ever Wonder ?

                  _bill

                  | > Did you know the Pope's grandmother was a Carpatho-Rusyn
                  | > Byzantine Catholic Slovak?
                  |
                  | Which one? Maria Anna Scholz, or Anna Przeczek?
                  |
                  | Maria Anna's father was born in Bielsko-Biala in Silesia (Poland) and
                  | Anna's father was born near Bielsko-Biala. What are the grounds for
                  | calling their daughters Maria Anna or Anna "Slovak"?
                  |
                  | The Pope's genealogy through two of his g-g-grandparents published in
                  | 1981 contains no hint that any of his listed ancestors should have
                  | come from Slovakia.
                  |

                  | Martin
                  |
                  | votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                  |

                  | Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jim M
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4 5:13 PM
                    No. I never wonder. John Paul III was a great man besides being a religious
                    leader. You should read his biography. Very inspiring.

                    _____

                    _____

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .