Re: [Slovak-World] Slovakia - search and rescue

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      > it is a tough nut to crack.

      Thank you for your comments, Ron, and I agree. In Slovakia, the
      rescue teams are salaried professionals -- government jobs. Most of
      the time, they sit around in their offices waiting. I calculated the
      meager data they volunteered to reveal last year, and it came down to
      one (team) rescue a week for each of them in the High Tatras. That
      includes anything -- from exhaustion or a twisted ankle on a marked
      trail through a climber hanging on a rope. They very often use a
      helicopter these days. Looking for lost hikers is exceptionally
      rare. It's almost always reported accidents.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu