Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak film in Pittsburgh, Sunday, April 3

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Thank you Gil -- same on this end!

      I'll pencil it now and put in for the vacation time.

      Caye

      --- Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > (and Gil) J
      >

      > Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
      >

      > Hey Martin (and Gil):
      >
      > Any idea yet (I know it's early) when the Annual
      > Slovak Heritage Festival will be scheduled for? I
      > had
      > such a good time last year, I'd love to attend again
      > if I'm able -- and around 'here' you have to put in
      > for vacation about a year in advance in order to get
      > the creamiest dates. Thanks!
      >

      > Caye (Chicago)
      >

      > --- Gil Kubancsek wrote:
      > >
      > > Good Morning Martin,
      > >
      > > I am interested in attending. Are reservations
      > > required? Do you expect an overflow attendence?
      > How
      > > early should I arrive? Is there a charge?
      > >
      > > Thanks and regards,
      > >
      > > Gil
      > >

      > > Martin Votruba wrote:
      > > Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh
      > >
      > > Slovak Film Series 2005
      > >
      > > Sunday, April 3, 2 PM
      > >
      > > Double feature, 1501 Posvar Hall (next to Hillman
      > > Library)
      > >

      > > Janosik (1h 8�) -- historic, Slovak-American
      > motion
      > > picture
      > >
      > > The series opens with Slovakia�s first feature
      > > movie, the silent film
      > > Janosik, made in 1921 with Slovak-American capital
      > > by Jaroslav Jerry
      > > Siakel, who returned from his home in Chicago to
      > his
      > > native central
      > > Slovakia to shoot the film on location with Slovak
      > > actors.
      > >

      > > Janosik I (1h 20�)
      > >
      > > One of the most popular domestic movies in
      > Slovakia,
      > > the film was
      > > partly shot on location in the picturesque, craggy
      > > valleys around the
      > > real Janosik�s home village. It opens with young
      > > Janosik learning
      > > about the overlords� disregard for their subjects,
      > > and continues with
      > > him joining a band of merry mountain lads in his
      > > early adulthood.
      > >

      > > This will be a historic occasion, because the
      > > silent motion
      > > picture Janosik used to be shown with great
      > success
      > > in
      > > Slovak-American communities, including in
      > > Pittsburgh, through the
      > > 1950s, but was thought lost afterwards. With this
      > > presentation at
      > > the University of Pittsburgh, the first Slovak
      > film
      > > Janosik is
      > > returning to Pittsburgh at a non-profit viewing
      > > after it was restored
      > > from two incomplete copies. There will be a brief
      > > introduction and a
      > > handout.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      > > removed]
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Personals - Better first dates. More second

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        > Are reservations required? Do you expect an overflow attendence?
        > How early should I arrive? Is there a charge?

        The room can accommodate 60+ people (probably dozens more), so seats
        should not be a problem, Gil. The Slovak Studies Program at Pitt doesn't
        charge anything, but the Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
        will be collecting contributions/donations ($5 per person, I think; it's
        free for students).

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Gil Kubancsek
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          Thanks Martin.

          Appears to be very acceptable arrangements.

          Gil

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
            Does any one in the Pittsburgh area know of any greek orthodox churches
            that the ladies make Kataifi at their annual Greek Food Festivals?

            Fred & Pauline