Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak film in Pittsburgh, Sunday, April 3

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hey Martin (and Gil):

      Any idea yet (I know it's early) when the Annual
      Slovak Heritage Festival will be scheduled for? I had
      such a good time last year, I'd love to attend again
      if I'm able -- and around 'here' you have to put in
      for vacation about a year in advance in order to get
      the creamiest dates. Thanks!

      Caye (Chicago)

      --- Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> wrote:

      > Good Morning Martin,
      >
      > I am interested in attending. Are reservations
      > required? Do you expect an overflow attendence? How
      > early should I arrive? Is there a charge?
      >
      > Thanks and regards,
      >
      > Gil
      >

      > Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:
      > Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh
      >
      > Slovak Film Series 2005
      >
      > Sunday, April 3, 2 PM
      >
      > Double feature, 1501 Posvar Hall (next to Hillman
      > Library)
      >

      > Janosik (1h 8�) -- historic, Slovak-American motion
      > picture
      >
      > The series opens with Slovakia�s first feature
      > movie, the silent film
      > Janosik, made in 1921 with Slovak-American capital
      > by Jaroslav Jerry
      > Siakel, who returned from his home in Chicago to his
      > native central
      > Slovakia to shoot the film on location with Slovak
      > actors.
      >

      > Janosik I (1h 20�)
      >
      > One of the most popular domestic movies in Slovakia,
      > the film was
      > partly shot on location in the picturesque, craggy
      > valleys around the
      > real Janosik�s home village. It opens with young
      > Janosik learning
      > about the overlords� disregard for their subjects,
      > and continues with
      > him joining a band of merry mountain lads in his
      > early adulthood.
      >

      > This will be a historic occasion, because the
      > silent motion
      > picture Janosik used to be shown with great success
      > in
      > Slovak-American communities, including in
      > Pittsburgh, through the
      > 1950s, but was thought lost afterwards. With this
      > presentation at
      > the University of Pittsburgh, the first Slovak film
      > Janosik is
      > returning to Pittsburgh at a non-profit viewing
      > after it was restored
      > from two incomplete copies. There will be a brief
      > introduction and a
      > handout.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      > removed]

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Gil Kubancsek
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hello Caye (Chicago)

        Helene reports in her Spring 2005 issue of Slovakia that the 15th Annual Slovak Festival will be held on Sunday November 6 from 12 noon - 5 PM at the Cathedral of Learning on the U of Pitt campus.

        I penciled in the date on my schedule and hope to see you there.

        (and Gil) J

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          Thank you Gil -- same on this end!

          I'll pencil it now and put in for the vacation time.

          Caye

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
            > Are reservations required? Do you expect an overflow attendence?
            > How early should I arrive? Is there a charge?

            The room can accommodate 60+ people (probably dozens more), so seats
            should not be a problem, Gil. The Slovak Studies Program at Pitt doesn't
            charge anything, but the Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
            will be collecting contributions/donations ($5 per person, I think; it's
            free for students).

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Gil Kubancsek
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
              Thanks Martin.

              Appears to be very acceptable arrangements.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                Does any one in the Pittsburgh area know of any greek orthodox churches
                that the ladies make Kataifi at their annual Greek Food Festivals?

                Fred & Pauline