Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak film in Pittsburgh, Sunday, April 3

  • Gil Kubancsek
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Good Morning Martin,

      I am interested in attending. Are reservations required? Do you expect an overflow attendence? How early should I arrive? Is there a charge?

      Thanks and regards,

      Gil

      Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:
      Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh

      Slovak Film Series 2005

      Sunday, April 3, 2 PM

      Double feature, 1501 Posvar Hall (next to Hillman Library)

      Janosik (1h 8�) -- historic, Slovak-American motion picture

      The series opens with Slovakia�s first feature movie, the silent film
      Janosik, made in 1921 with Slovak-American capital by Jaroslav Jerry
      Siakel, who returned from his home in Chicago to his native central
      Slovakia to shoot the film on location with Slovak actors.

      Janosik I (1h 20�)

      One of the most popular domestic movies in Slovakia, the film was
      partly shot on location in the picturesque, craggy valleys around the
      real Janosik�s home village. It opens with young Janosik learning
      about the overlords� disregard for their subjects, and continues with
      him joining a band of merry mountain lads in his early adulthood.

      This will be a historic occasion, because the silent motion
      picture Janosik used to be shown with great success in
      Slovak-American communities, including in Pittsburgh, through the
      1950s, but was thought lost afterwards. With this presentation at
      the University of Pittsburgh, the first Slovak film Janosik is
      returning to Pittsburgh at a non-profit viewing after it was restored
      from two incomplete copies. There will be a brief introduction and a
      handout.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hey Martin (and Gil):

        Any idea yet (I know it's early) when the Annual
        Slovak Heritage Festival will be scheduled for? I had
        such a good time last year, I'd love to attend again
        if I'm able -- and around 'here' you have to put in
        for vacation about a year in advance in order to get
        the creamiest dates. Thanks!

        Caye (Chicago)

        --- Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> wrote:

        > Good Morning Martin,
        >
        > I am interested in attending. Are reservations
        > required? Do you expect an overflow attendence? How
        > early should I arrive? Is there a charge?
        >
        > Thanks and regards,
        >
        > Gil
        >

        > Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:
        > Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh
        >
        > Slovak Film Series 2005
        >
        > Sunday, April 3, 2 PM
        >
        > Double feature, 1501 Posvar Hall (next to Hillman
        > Library)
        >

        > Janosik (1h 8�) -- historic, Slovak-American motion
        > picture
        >
        > The series opens with Slovakia�s first feature
        > movie, the silent film
        > Janosik, made in 1921 with Slovak-American capital
        > by Jaroslav Jerry
        > Siakel, who returned from his home in Chicago to his
        > native central
        > Slovakia to shoot the film on location with Slovak
        > actors.
        >

        > Janosik I (1h 20�)
        >
        > One of the most popular domestic movies in Slovakia,
        > the film was
        > partly shot on location in the picturesque, craggy
        > valleys around the
        > real Janosik�s home village. It opens with young
        > Janosik learning
        > about the overlords� disregard for their subjects,
        > and continues with
        > him joining a band of merry mountain lads in his
        > early adulthood.
        >

        > This will be a historic occasion, because the
        > silent motion
        > picture Janosik used to be shown with great success
        > in
        > Slovak-American communities, including in
        > Pittsburgh, through the
        > 1950s, but was thought lost afterwards. With this
        > presentation at
        > the University of Pittsburgh, the first Slovak film
        > Janosik is
        > returning to Pittsburgh at a non-profit viewing
        > after it was restored
        > from two incomplete copies. There will be a brief
        > introduction and a
        > handout.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Gil Kubancsek
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          Hello Caye (Chicago)

          Helene reports in her Spring 2005 issue of Slovakia that the 15th Annual Slovak Festival will be held on Sunday November 6 from 12 noon - 5 PM at the Cathedral of Learning on the U of Pitt campus.

          I penciled in the date on my schedule and hope to see you there.

          (and Gil) J

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
            Thank you Gil -- same on this end!

            I'll pencil it now and put in for the vacation time.

            Caye

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
              > Are reservations required? Do you expect an overflow attendence?
              > How early should I arrive? Is there a charge?

              The room can accommodate 60+ people (probably dozens more), so seats
              should not be a problem, Gil. The Slovak Studies Program at Pitt doesn't
              charge anything, but the Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
              will be collecting contributions/donations ($5 per person, I think; it's
              free for students).

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Gil Kubancsek
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                Thanks Martin.

                Appears to be very acceptable arrangements.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Does any one in the Pittsburgh area know of any greek orthodox churches
                  that the ladies make Kataifi at their annual Greek Food Festivals?

                  Fred & Pauline