Slovakia

  • David
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 1 3:12 AM
      Hi gang: It looks like Slovakia is starting to get more Americanized. We
      are also charging for rescues.

      Mountain rescue services in Slovakia will no longer be free

      Thu 31 Mar 05, 17:29 •

      The Slovak authorities have had enough of irresponsible visitors to the
      mountains. As of next year skiers and climbers searched for or rescued by a
      mountain rescue team will have to pay the cost of the rescue operation. A
      new amendment to the current law introduces the possibility of accident
      insurance for visitors to the mountains. Interior Minister Vladimir Palko
      explained why:

      „This way we want to eliminate the problems with proving whether the
      visitor broke the law or not. In the past there was a commission to decide
      whether the law was broken and based on the decision those who broke the
      law had to pay.“

      That means that everybody will have to pay for the costs incurred. The most
      frequent so called clients of the rescue team are Czechs who overestimate
      their abilities, having practiced in the Czech mountains before, which are
      far less dangerous. Last year 12 Czechs died in the High Tatras alone.

      --
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 8, 2009
        Slovakia sites