Re: [Slovak-World] Bratislava and Slovakia Highlighted in Travel Mag

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2003
      Helene,

      Perhaps the author of the piece is still stuck in the image of 30 years ago.
      Bratislava was unbelievably dirty then, so much so I missed any beauty. At
      the same time Kosice was a disaster.

      What a world of change there has been since then, and what hidden treasures
      have been revealed! The worst I can say about Bratislava today is that I
      prefer it without an automobile - as any city.

      On 'villagers never meeting a foreigner's, some un-truths and romantic
      atmosphere must be created. They can't sell 'come and tread the path of
      earlier adventurers'.

      Ron

      > SEVERAL THINGS -
      >
      > 1) BELOW THE HEADLINE IT SAID "THE SO-CALLED UGLY DUCKLING OF EUROPE IS
      > ACTUALLY AN OVERLOOKED AND UNDERPRICED SWAN OF THE DANUBE." UGH! BUT IT
      MADE
      > AN EYE CATCHING HEADLINE
      >

      > AND "BRATISLAVA HAS NO HORDES OF JOSTLING FOREIGNERS, NO HORNET -LIKE
      VESPA
      > TRAFFIC, NO MONEY TRAPS." I have always loved Bratislava's old town - tho
      > was sad to see the huge outdoor beer gardens that fill the historic street
      > under Michael's Tower. But it's nice for the residents. A young Slovak
      friend
      > told me that the most beautiful girls in Slovakia can be seen in the
      outdoor
      > cafes on this street.
      >

      > 7) Said that outside of Bratislava few villagers have met a foreigner.
      Might