Re: "baba"

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
      > "C~o sa babe (za)chcelo, to sa babe (pri)snilo"
      > It's wishful thinking
      > The wish is father to/of the thought

      Whatever baba (Lola) wants, baba (Lola) gets. (?)

      > "hrat' sa na slepu babu"
      > play blind man's buff
      > put on an act
      > pretend

      Playing blind baba.

      > "zvedavy ako (stara) baba)
      > (as) curious as a cat
      > Nosey/nosey Parker {who's Parker?????}

      Noun 1. nosey-parker - a person who meddles in the affairs of others
      busybody, nosy-parker

      "The short answer is that nobody knows where it comes from, but that
      hardly seems like an adequate response. Some pointers, then.

      The most usual origin suggested is the late (the very late) Matthew
      Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Elizabeth I in the
      sixteenth century. He was a reforming cleric, noted for sending out
      detailed enquiries and instructions relating to the conduct of his
      diocese. Like many reformers, he was regarded as a busybody.
      However, the huge flaw in this suggestion is that the term nosey
      Parker isn't recorded until 1907. The term nosey for someone
      inquisitive, figuratively always sticking their nose into other
      people's affairs, is a little older, but even that only dates back to
      the 1880s. Before then, anyone called nosey was just somebody with a
      big nose, like the Duke of Wellington, who had the nickname Old Nosey.

      One suggestion, put forward by Eric Partridge in his Dictionary of
      Slang and Unconventional English, was that the saying dates from the
      Great Exhibition in Hyde Park in 1851. Very large numbers of people
      attended the Exhibition, so there would have been lots of
      opportunities for peeping Toms and eavesdroppers in the grounds. The
      word parker has since medieval times been used for an official in
      charge of a park, a park-keeper; I've read that the term was used
      informally for the royal park-keepers who supervised Hyde Park at the
      time of the Great Exhibition. So the saying might conceivably have
      been applied to a nosey park-keeper. It would require the inquisitive
      sense of nosey to have originated about 30 years before it is first
      recorded¬ónot impossible.

      Another idea, put forward in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable,
      is that the phrase nosey Parker was originally nose-poker. Poker, in
      the sense of somebody who pries into another's affairs, certainly has
      a long history, well pre-dating the nineteenth century appearance of
      nosey Parker. It's not impossible that nose-poker became modified
      with the second element being converted into a proper name. Stranger
      things have happened. But evidence is suspiciously lacking: the
      Oxford English Dictionary has no record of nose-poker anywhere and I
      can't find an example.

      But all this is the purest supposition. The evidence isn't on record,
      and the truth will probably never be found."

      RU
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        "zvedavy ako (stara) baba"

        I just remembered the Slovak-English phrase that we used to use (using
        Slovak orthography): "nozy baba"

        Helen