Re: [Slovak-World] Votrubova Chata

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
      > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
      > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

      It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
      too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
      shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
      words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
      Sept. 14):

      Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
      bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
      Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
      nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

      "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
      let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
      by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        It's Slovak, but not much used, I guess. I looked in a smallish
        (pocket-ish) dictionary and a large Slovak-Eng. dictionary and found
        only "chyz~na" (chambermaid), but found "chyz~a" in the Slovak-Slovak
        dictionary put out by the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

        Helen

        >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 12:20 PM >>>

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
        > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
        > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
        > chyz~a".
        >
        > Helen

        Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
        reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
        a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
        dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

        RU

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          I cannot believe those photos could ever be confused
          with a 'hut' -- I'd say they look like Swiss skiing
          chalets -- or lodges -- but 'hut' -- I just don't get
          how hut applies to construction/architecture that
          nice.

          Caye

          --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27"
          > <rmat@p...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of
          > the
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
          > > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos
          > down in a few
          > > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a
          > traditional hut in the
          > > European mountains. It is a nice look back in
          > time.
          >
          > What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49
          > vs 35) makes.
          > I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we
          > don't have
          > mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way,
          > anyone know what the
          > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?
          >
          > RU

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            Caye,

            The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
            accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
            the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
            frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
            anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
            material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
            airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
            which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

            The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
            from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
            with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
            multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
            I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
            elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
            your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
            nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
            without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
            tell, up in them thar mountains!

            I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>