Re: Votrubova Chata

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
      wrote:
      > > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"
      >
      > As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It
      was also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the
      German Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
      cottage/house today.< But I recall it from at least one poem
      from...<

      Thanks Martin. As I mentioned to Helen, I couldn't find chyz^a in
      the dictionaries that I have access to. I had heard of "dacha" the
      Russian term for summer home or cottage but not "chata". My first
      encounter with "chata" was when I visited my cousin in Prague. They
      have a chata in the countryside outside Prague. I thought it was a
      Czech term.

      RU
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
        > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

        It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
        too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
        shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
        words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
        Sept. 14):

        Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
        bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
        Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
        nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

        "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
        let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
        by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          It's Slovak, but not much used, I guess. I looked in a smallish
          (pocket-ish) dictionary and a large Slovak-Eng. dictionary and found
          only "chyz~na" (chambermaid), but found "chyz~a" in the Slovak-Slovak
          dictionary put out by the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

          Helen

          >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 12:20 PM >>>

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
          > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
          > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
          > chyz~a".
          >
          > Helen

          Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
          reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
          a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
          dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

          RU

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            I cannot believe those photos could ever be confused
            with a 'hut' -- I'd say they look like Swiss skiing
            chalets -- or lodges -- but 'hut' -- I just don't get
            how hut applies to construction/architecture that
            nice.

            Caye

            --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27"
            > <rmat@p...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of
            > the
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
            > > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos
            > down in a few
            > > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a
            > traditional hut in the
            > > European mountains. It is a nice look back in
            > time.
            >
            > What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49
            > vs 35) makes.
            > I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we
            > don't have
            > mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way,
            > anyone know what the
            > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?
            >
            > RU

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              Caye,

              The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
              accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
              the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
              frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
              anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
              material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
              airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
              which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

              The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
              from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
              with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
              multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
              I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
              elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
              your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
              nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
              without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
              tell, up in them thar mountains!

              I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>