Re: [Slovak-World] Gooseberries

  • LHBrigham
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
      Not only do the bushes have thorns - the berries have thorns! When you
      eat gooseberries, you have to carefully break all of the thorns down
      with your teeth before you can eat them. One of my aunts had a row of
      gooseberries that we would pick so she could bake a gooseberry pie.
      Horticulturists have developed thorn less gooseberries.

      Lowell

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
        Both Hungarian and Slovak use the same word, "egres" and "egres~". Who
        borrowed it from whom? I would think that since it's a horticultural
        item (that a settled people would have known about), the Hungarians
        would have learned the word from their local Slavs, but it sounds
        Hungarian to me. Is this a re-borrowing?

        Helen

        >>> LHBrigham@... 03/02/05 11:23 AM >>>

        durisek@... wrote:

        >The bushes do have thorns, I think. Does the slovak word have any
        other
        >meanings...what's the etymology? Zuzka

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
          I've found differing opinions on the etymology of gooseberry, but one
          that makes sense to me is to derive it from gorse-berry, with gorse
          referring to another type of thorny bush (from Old English "gors").
          The Hungarian egres looks like it might be from a related Germanic
          root, just guessing though.

          By the way, in the Slovak phrase that started all this, there was no
          "gooseberry", the phrase was "trinasty apos~tol" = "a thirteenth
          apostle".

          Joe

          durisek@... wrote:

          >The bushes do have thorns, I think. Does the slovak word have any
          other
          >meanings...what's the etymology? Zuzka
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
            > The Hungarian egres looks like it might be from a related
            > Germanic root

            I agree, Joe, and it goes even farther. Gooseberries are not ancient
            Slovak, or even European fruit. The names of such plants aren't old,
            old Slovak, Hungarian.

            Like paradajky (tomatoes), egrese (gooseberries) reached the Slovaks
            (and Hungarians) through Vienna. Their Austrian-German name
            _Agraseln_ came from the Spanish _agraz_ (it's Stachelbeere in
            German-German).

            The first records of gooseberries in Slovakia come from the 1600s.

            They probably reached Slovakia earlier. There was usually a delay
            between when something like that appeared in the real world and when
            it was first mentioned in a written record.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
              So does that mean that gooseberries originally came from Iberia? This
              also brought to mind the Slovak word "cibul'a" (onion), which resembles
              the Spanish word "cebolla". Did cibul'a also come from Spanish or is
              this just the Indo-European connection at word again?

              Helen

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
                > that gooseberries originally came from Iberia?

                It's more likely that gooseberries reached Vienna _via_ Spain/Spanish
                (e.g., the Habsburgs ruled Spain ca. 1500-1700, as well as much of
                Central Europe). Apparently, gooseberries as we know them were
                cultivated around the 16th century from a lowlier variety of currants.

                > "cibul'a" (onion), which resembles the Spanish word "cebolla"

                I don't think this goes back to Indo-European directly from Slovak,
                Helen. The word came from Latin. That almost certainly does not
                mean that that the Old Slavs didn't have onion: it has been around
                for millennia. A particular cultivated variety probably spread from
                the Latin area along with the word and replaced whatever kinds of
                onion the Europeans used to grow.

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu