"baba"

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      "C~o sa babe (za)chcelo, to sa babe (pri)snilo"
      It's wishful thinking
      The wish is father to/of the thought

      "hrat' sa na slepu babu"
      play blind man's buff
      put on an act
      pretend

      "zvedavy ako (stara) baba)
      (as) curious as a cat
      Nosey/nosey Parker {who's Parker?????}

      Helen
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
        > "C~o sa babe (za)chcelo, to sa babe (pri)snilo"
        > It's wishful thinking
        > The wish is father to/of the thought

        Whatever baba (Lola) wants, baba (Lola) gets. (?)

        > "hrat' sa na slepu babu"
        > play blind man's buff
        > put on an act
        > pretend

        Playing blind baba.

        > "zvedavy ako (stara) baba)
        > (as) curious as a cat
        > Nosey/nosey Parker {who's Parker?????}

        Noun 1. nosey-parker - a person who meddles in the affairs of others
        busybody, nosy-parker

        "The short answer is that nobody knows where it comes from, but that
        hardly seems like an adequate response. Some pointers, then.

        The most usual origin suggested is the late (the very late) Matthew
        Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Elizabeth I in the
        sixteenth century. He was a reforming cleric, noted for sending out
        detailed enquiries and instructions relating to the conduct of his
        diocese. Like many reformers, he was regarded as a busybody.
        However, the huge flaw in this suggestion is that the term nosey
        Parker isn't recorded until 1907. The term nosey for someone
        inquisitive, figuratively always sticking their nose into other
        people's affairs, is a little older, but even that only dates back to
        the 1880s. Before then, anyone called nosey was just somebody with a
        big nose, like the Duke of Wellington, who had the nickname Old Nosey.

        One suggestion, put forward by Eric Partridge in his Dictionary of
        Slang and Unconventional English, was that the saying dates from the
        Great Exhibition in Hyde Park in 1851. Very large numbers of people
        attended the Exhibition, so there would have been lots of
        opportunities for peeping Toms and eavesdroppers in the grounds. The
        word parker has since medieval times been used for an official in
        charge of a park, a park-keeper; I've read that the term was used
        informally for the royal park-keepers who supervised Hyde Park at the
        time of the Great Exhibition. So the saying might conceivably have
        been applied to a nosey park-keeper. It would require the inquisitive
        sense of nosey to have originated about 30 years before it is first
        recorded¬ónot impossible.

        Another idea, put forward in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable,
        is that the phrase nosey Parker was originally nose-poker. Poker, in
        the sense of somebody who pries into another's affairs, certainly has
        a long history, well pre-dating the nineteenth century appearance of
        nosey Parker. It's not impossible that nose-poker became modified
        with the second element being converted into a proper name. Stranger
        things have happened. But evidence is suspiciously lacking: the
        Oxford English Dictionary has no record of nose-poker anywhere and I
        can't find an example.

        But all this is the purest supposition. The evidence isn't on record,
        and the truth will probably never be found."

        RU
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          "zvedavy ako (stara) baba"

          I just remembered the Slovak-English phrase that we used to use (using
          Slovak orthography): "nozy baba"

          Helen