Re: [Slovak-World] Votrubova Chata

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
      Thank you, Ron, for the information and for the great photos. It's
      interesting that the German text translates the Predne Kopske sedlo
      in the Slovak text you posted as "White Saddle." It indeed is above
      White Lake (Tarn) where the newer hut was built (it's not there any
      more, either), but the mountain pass hasn't been called that in
      Slovak.

      > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"

      As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It was
      also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the German
      Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
      cottage/house today. But I recall it from at least one poem from the
      19th century in the sense of "a house," although it could have been
      used because of the rhyme.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
        > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
        > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
        > chyz~a".
        >
        > Helen

        Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
        reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
        a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
        dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

        RU
      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
          wrote:
          > > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"
          >
          > As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It
          was also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the
          German Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
          cottage/house today.< But I recall it from at least one poem
          from...<

          Thanks Martin. As I mentioned to Helen, I couldn't find chyz^a in
          the dictionaries that I have access to. I had heard of "dacha" the
          Russian term for summer home or cottage but not "chata". My first
          encounter with "chata" was when I visited my cousin in Prague. They
          have a chata in the countryside outside Prague. I thought it was a
          Czech term.

          RU
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
            > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

            It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
            too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
            shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
            words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
            Sept. 14):

            Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
            bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
            Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
            nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

            "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
            let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
            by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              It's Slovak, but not much used, I guess. I looked in a smallish
              (pocket-ish) dictionary and a large Slovak-Eng. dictionary and found
              only "chyz~na" (chambermaid), but found "chyz~a" in the Slovak-Slovak
              dictionary put out by the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

              Helen

              >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 12:20 PM >>>

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
              > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
              > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
              > chyz~a".
              >
              > Helen

              Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
              reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
              a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
              dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

              RU

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              To visit your group on the web, go to:
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                I cannot believe those photos could ever be confused
                with a 'hut' -- I'd say they look like Swiss skiing
                chalets -- or lodges -- but 'hut' -- I just don't get
                how hut applies to construction/architecture that
                nice.

                Caye

                --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27"
                > <rmat@p...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of
                > the
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
                > > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos
                > down in a few
                > > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a
                > traditional hut in the
                > > European mountains. It is a nice look back in
                > time.
                >
                > What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49
                > vs 35) makes.
                > I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we
                > don't have
                > mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way,
                > anyone know what the
                > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?
                >
                > RU

                __________________________________
                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Caye,

                  The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
                  accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
                  the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
                  frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
                  anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
                  material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
                  airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
                  which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

                  The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
                  from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
                  with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
                  multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
                  I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
                  elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
                  your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
                  nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
                  without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
                  tell, up in them thar mountains!

                  I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>