Re: [Slovak-World] Gooseberries

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
      Thanks for going to all this trouble Joe. Now it makes sense.

      Helen

      >>> JArmata@... 03/02/05 9:20 AM >>>
      The Oxford English Dictionary gives gooseberry a couple of meanings: a
      chaperone, a pseudonym for the devil or an authoritarian figure, and
      an explanation for where children come from (like we use a cabbage
      patch, I guess). See below.

      I wonder if there was once a children's game called Old Gooseberry
      that gave rise to the chaperone meaning. Or maybe it meant the
      chaperone pretended to pick gooseberries in the background while
      watching the young lovers during an outing.

      Joe

      5. A chaperon or one who "plays propriety" with a pair of lovers,
      esp. in to play gooseberry. (Cf. gooseberry-picker in 8.)

      * 1837 J. F. Palmer Devonsh. Gloss., Gubbs, a go-between or
      gooseberry. `To play gooseberry' is to give a pretext to two young
      people to be together.

      * 1870 Miss Broughton Red as Rose I. 169 Gooseberry I may be..but,
      at all events, I won't be instrumental in making myself so.

      * 1881 W. E. Norris Matrim. I. 21 Let the old woman choose between
      playing gooseberry or loitering behind alone.

      * 1889 G. Allen Tents of Shem II. 118 Madame didn't know a single
      word of English and was, therefore, admirably adapted..for enacting
      with effect the part of the common or garden gooseberry.

      6.

      a. slang.

      old gooseberry = the deuce (deuce2 a); esp. to play old gooseberry, to
      make havoc (see also quot. 1796).

      * 1796 Grose's Dict. Vulg. Tongue (ed. 3) s.v., He played up old
      gooseberry among them; said of a person who, by force or threats,
      suddenly puts an end to a riot or disturbance.

      * 1827 Sporting Mag. XXI. 144 Several of the gentlemen rode over
      the dressed grounds and played old gooseberry with them.

      * 1844 Dickens Mart. Chuz. xxxviii, I'll play Old Gooseberry with
      the office, and make you glad to buy me out at a good high figure.

      * 1865 H. Kingsley Hillyars & Burtons III. xiii. 149 You should
      have a tea-stick, and take them [dogs] by the tail..and lay on like
      old gooseberry.

      * 1883 Ld. R. Gower My Remin. II. xxvii. 249 A great gale..played
      old gooseberry with the boats.

      b.

      gooseberry bush: used allusively in reference to the explanation of
      child-birth sometimes given in answer to a child's question.

      * 1944 Brahms & Simon Titania has Mother xiii. 146 Fairy
      Peaseblossom..had never thought she would find herself hankering after
      one of Simple Simon's curious questions, but now she found she simply
      couldn't wait for the next one-even if it should be `but why a
      goose-berry bush again' ?

      * 1952 V. Wilkins King Reluctant i. iii. 47 When girls come home
      and tell their fond relations that they have just found a baby..under
      a gooseberry bush, you know what the world says, don't you?

      * 1956 B. Goolden At Foot of Hills x. 234 Perhaps she's one of the
      gooseberry bush brigade and is horrified by the precocity of the
      modern young. Or is it just because she loathes babies?

      * 1964 G. L. Cohen What's Wrong with Hospitals? iv. 69
      Middle-class mothers are an anxious lot; they have no precedent on
      child-rearing which hasn't been kicked into limbo along with
      gooseberry bushes.

      * 1969 Guardian 28 Oct. 11/5 Many children said they were glad to
      know what happened, and not be fobbed off with a lot of gooseberry
      bushes.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
        The bushes do have thorns, I think. Does the slovak word have any other
        meanings...what's the etymology? Zuzka

      • LHBrigham
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
          Not only do the bushes have thorns - the berries have thorns! When you
          eat gooseberries, you have to carefully break all of the thorns down
          with your teeth before you can eat them. One of my aunts had a row of
          gooseberries that we would pick so she could bake a gooseberry pie.
          Horticulturists have developed thorn less gooseberries.

          Lowell

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
            Both Hungarian and Slovak use the same word, "egres" and "egres~". Who
            borrowed it from whom? I would think that since it's a horticultural
            item (that a settled people would have known about), the Hungarians
            would have learned the word from their local Slavs, but it sounds
            Hungarian to me. Is this a re-borrowing?

            Helen

            >>> LHBrigham@... 03/02/05 11:23 AM >>>

            durisek@... wrote:

            >The bushes do have thorns, I think. Does the slovak word have any
            other
            >meanings...what's the etymology? Zuzka

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:
          • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
              I've found differing opinions on the etymology of gooseberry, but one
              that makes sense to me is to derive it from gorse-berry, with gorse
              referring to another type of thorny bush (from Old English "gors").
              The Hungarian egres looks like it might be from a related Germanic
              root, just guessing though.

              By the way, in the Slovak phrase that started all this, there was no
              "gooseberry", the phrase was "trinasty apos~tol" = "a thirteenth
              apostle".

              Joe

              durisek@... wrote:

              >The bushes do have thorns, I think. Does the slovak word have any
              other
              >meanings...what's the etymology? Zuzka
            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
                > The Hungarian egres looks like it might be from a related
                > Germanic root

                I agree, Joe, and it goes even farther. Gooseberries are not ancient
                Slovak, or even European fruit. The names of such plants aren't old,
                old Slovak, Hungarian.

                Like paradajky (tomatoes), egrese (gooseberries) reached the Slovaks
                (and Hungarians) through Vienna. Their Austrian-German name
                _Agraseln_ came from the Spanish _agraz_ (it's Stachelbeere in
                German-German).

                The first records of gooseberries in Slovakia come from the 1600s.

                They probably reached Slovakia earlier. There was usually a delay
                between when something like that appeared in the real world and when
                it was first mentioned in a written record.

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
                  So does that mean that gooseberries originally came from Iberia? This
                  also brought to mind the Slovak word "cibul'a" (onion), which resembles
                  the Spanish word "cebolla". Did cibul'a also come from Spanish or is
                  this just the Indo-European connection at word again?

                  Helen

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
                    > that gooseberries originally came from Iberia?

                    It's more likely that gooseberries reached Vienna _via_ Spain/Spanish
                    (e.g., the Habsburgs ruled Spain ca. 1500-1700, as well as much of
                    Central Europe). Apparently, gooseberries as we know them were
                    cultivated around the 16th century from a lowlier variety of currants.

                    > "cibul'a" (onion), which resembles the Spanish word "cebolla"

                    I don't think this goes back to Indo-European directly from Slovak,
                    Helen. The word came from Latin. That almost certainly does not
                    mean that that the Old Slavs didn't have onion: it has been around
                    for millennia. A particular cultivated variety probably spread from
                    the Latin area along with the word and replaced whatever kinds of
                    onion the Europeans used to grow.

                    Martin

                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu